Driving to the start of a bike ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Re the train, I tend to ride out and then get the train back.
Sometimes I take a train both ways with my bike, sometimes just one way. If one way, I would prefer to catch the train out and ride home because that avoids me hanging about waiting for a train when I am tired and wanting to get back.

As for what to wear on the train... I normally wear Endura Humvees which are knee-length baggy shorts, so they don't look that odd to be sitting around in. (See my avatar picture on the left.)

I gave up my driving licence when I thought I was stuck with severe visual impairment for the rest of my life, and as I haven't driven for well over 10 years I'm not about to restart now. However, as I have a folder, I can - and do - take it on buses as well as on trains to get to a place for a ride somewhere different from the ones I do from home. Sometimes I go to the coast to ride along coastal paths; weather permitting, next week I plan to take it up into the hills on the bus and ride back on a mostly-downhill route (yes it's cheating I know!).

Sometimes I get a bit bored of the local roads, and wonder whether every so often (perhaps once a fortnight) I shouldn't drive say 30-60 minutes to a starting point that allows me to do a decent loop somewhere new from there, say 40 miles minimum to make it worthwhile.

Do others do this? I accept it's not the most Greta-friendly idea, but as I only do about 2,000 car miles a year I'm not sure that will keep me awake at night. And yes, train is an option, but would take much longer to get from my door to the starting point.
I hate driving to the start of a ride. I've done it for a few sportives and races but I'd rather spend the time cycling.

And not keen on driving back all sweaty either.

I have heard of people doing this and forgetting their shoes/wheels/ quick releases.

But it's up to you. Whatever works for you is good.

presta

Guru
I've never had a bike rack, and haven't driven since 2004, so no I didn't use the car. All my day rides used to start and finish from home. Cycle tours varied, a lot also started and finished from home, but others used the train at the start, or finish, or both.
I often used to get on a train at the end of a walking holiday or cycle tour soaking with sweat. I just fished the clean T-shirt out of the rucsac and changed in the toilet once the train was moving.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hate driving to the start of a ride. I've done it for a few sportives and races but I'd rather spend the time cycling.

I have heard of people doing this and forgetting their shoes/wheels/ quick releases.
I once did a 200 km audax whose event HQ was in Cheadle (Stockport). I was getting ready to set off when an older rider next to me suddenly started swearing. He'd driven 70 km (nearly 45 miles) there from Bradford and had just realised that he'd left his cycling shoes at home! :banghead:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I do from time to time usually to a sportive but very occasionally to a club "drive 'n' ride." I'm not keen on the idea but will from time to time.

As it happens I've got an 8.15 start in New Mills this morning. An hour by car from home.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not ideal but people drive cars for worse reasons.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Why not?

It is all down to personal choice and I can understand it if the reason is to avoid burning fuel in any way, or you can't drive, but if it allows people to get to scenery that would otherwise be out of their range where is the problem?

I can understand when young children and nervous cyclists are involved so you they can get somewhere quieter.

In one of the local small towns most Sunday mornings there's a group of about 6 cyclists that meet up in a car park and go for a ride , from speaking to one of them they all live in the same small town but still insist on driving to the car park that is no more than 3 miles away , that is what I can't understand.

A fellow cyclist I know who only does off road won't ride the 8 miles to Brixworth country park as he claims it will wear his knobbly tyre's out quicker ^_^

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’ve done it twice this year, partly as I’ve not had my usual B and B tour which allows me to get further afield, and also trains have been more tricky. I’m fortunate in that I can get to Lakes, Dales and Bowland for day rides but even then the first sections are repetitive. Being up against the west coast also has limitations, not least the prevailing wind. Don’t tell anyone but I have been known to take advantage of strong tail winds and get the train back!

Baldy

Über Member
It would be good to be able to use the trains but there's no chance of that happening with Scotrail. Far too much hassle and there's only a limited number of lines from where I live.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am going to tomorrow.
I have a meeting thing tomorrow about 20 miles up the road. Will find other parking and clear off on the bike, I think, as I am there.
Change of plan. The meeting is postponed as interviewer is ‘hanging’. Either he went out on the lash last night or jumped off a scaffold.
pretty sure I don’t want to work for anyone who gives me 45 minutes of cancellation because he’s still mostly drunkxx(

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Change of plan. The meeting is postponed as interviewer is ‘hanging’. Either he went out on the lash last night or jumped off a scaffold.
pretty sure I don’t want to work for anyone who gives me 45 minutes of cancellation because he’s still mostly drunkxx(
Good luck for the next one.

Top Bottom