Drop Bars, Am I Missing Something?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave W

After a few years of hybrid commuting and some long leisure rides I decided to go for a drop bar bike for my next N+1 because I've heard how comfy they are etc.

So, I got myself a new Boardman CX which no doubt is a lovely bike but my hands don't seem to agree. Admittedly I've only done half an hour on it so far but even after that my hands are saying no around the base of the thumb joint.

I've had a little fettle with bar angle and saddle which may help but is it just a case of needing to get used to it or am I missing something?

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Your hands will be mostly on the brake hoods. I only ever use the drop part on descents.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
When I made the switch 5 years ago I had the same problem. The hoods were too far down so the shop angled them and the bars for me. I also learnt from a few months riding to shift my weight onto my palms more, thus relieving my thumbs.

My hands took a little while to get used to the pressure on the ball of my hand when I first switched to riding the hoods.
My back and neck took a little while to get used to the new ride position too.
It was only after a week or so that I started to adjust the fit (excepting the obvious seat height) because I didn't want to confuse my inflexibility at the start with real fit issues.
My advice would be to get used to the ride for a few days to get used to new body\hand positions before wielding a spanner.

OP
OP
D

Dave W

I've tweaked the bars up a little so will see how it goes. The fit feels fine, the only problem is the pain in my hands.

Seems like I may just need to let my body adjust so I'll give it a few miles.

Get some padded mitts if you don't have them already, they can certainly help.

Edit: Oh, and relax!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
You'll get used to any handlebar position, it just takes time :smile:. I've been using the drop bar hand position exclusively for years now, because I just prefer to hold the handlebars that way. Other cyclists think I'm strange, but I can maintain this position for very long rides with minimal discomfort, so that's all that matters. Now I have calluses on the heel of each hand from using that position, so it's easier than it used to be.

Inthecup

I've just bought my first road bike a few weeks ago. Coming from a MTB I found it rather uncomfy at first. I done 10 miles 3 times over the first week as it was setup then tweaked the saddle. At first I was getting pins and needles in my hands and a sore neck. I headed out at the weekend and done 27 miles and apart from a stiff neck towards the end the ride was rather comfortable.

Stick with it and tweak the bike to suit you.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If it's stiffness in the muscle at the base of the thumb, it's just sudden use of a little used muscle. As a double bass player, I know the ache, but I also know that the muscle can build up surprising strength. If you're a bass player it needs to....
Also, if you're on the hoods, your weight leaning forwards will be holding the bars straight. You only need to call up strength in awkward moments. All you have to do is make sure your hands don't bounce off the top and the V between thumb and fingers plus the weight of your forward-leaning body pressing downwards means you don't often need any serious muscle use at all.

When you've got a smoothish piece of road, no steep hills, or Audis, Range Rovers, Volvos in the vicinity, try moving your thumb around. It should give you a clue as to how little strength you need to keep planted on the hoods. This should give you a clue as to how little force you need to be applying.

(If on the other hand - not literally, of course - it's not muscle pain, please print this post off and throw it in the bin.)

OP
OP
D

Dave W

If it's stiffness in the muscle at the base of the thumb, it's just sudden use of a little used muscle. As a double bass player, I know the ache, but I also know that the muscle can build up surprising strength. If you're a bass player it needs to....
Also, if you're on the hoods, your weight leaning forwards will be holding the bars straight. You only need to call up strength in awkward moments. All you have to do is make sure your hands don't bounce off the top and the V between thumb and fingers plus the weight of your forward-leaning body pressing downwards means you don't often need any serious muscle use at all.

When you've got a smoothish piece of road, no steep hills, or Audis, Range Rovers, Volvos in the vicinity, try moving your thumb around. It should give you a clue as to how little strength you need to keep planted on the hoods. This should give you a clue as to how little force you need to be applying.

(If on the other hand - not literally, of course - it's not muscle pain, please print this post off and throw it in the bin.)

Sounds about right to be fair. I'm gonna weight lift with my thumbs on the bike and see how it goes.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought my first road bike just under three years ago. I'm pretty ancient, but it took me a good few months to feel relaxed and comfortable on it. I changed the stem from 110 mm to 90 mm and that made a big difference. I also experimented with stem angles ( higher or lower ). After about six iterations, I got comfortable, but that might just have been due my body gradually getting used to the general riding position.

BTW, if you can beg, borrow, or steal a multi-angled stem, they are very useful to experiment with. Have fun.

Top Bottom