Dual/Mixed use pavements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
I've just paid a short visit to Southampton where there are shared pavements everywhere and cyclists all over the footpaths. As a pedestrian I didn't like it at all, and I can understand why other pedestrians don't either.
One of the biggest problems with this set-up is it encourages the notion that cyclists should always be on the path, so motorists are intolerant of those who prefer to ride on the road, and many cyclists use the pavements even where there is no legal provision for them to do so.

jonesy

Guru
Shouldn't need repeating, but the proliferation of shared pavements is actually contrary to national guidance on cycle provision:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/cyclingengland/engineering-planning/design-principles/

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
dondare said:
I've just paid a short visit to Southampton where there are shared pavements everywhere and cyclists all over the footpaths. As a pedestrian I didn't like it at all, and I can understand why other pedestrians don't either.
One of the biggest problems with this set-up is it encourages the notion that cyclists should always be on the path, so motorists are intolerant of those who prefer to ride on the road, and many cyclists use the pavements even where there is no legal provision for them to do so.

I'm guessing that you might have seen the stuff on or around Southampton Common. Those are an object lesson in bad cycle paths.

dondare

Über Member
Bollo said:
I'm guessing that you might have seen the stuff on or around Southampton Common. Those are an object lesson in bad cycle paths.

I went into Town, up to the University, on the Common and through a park and the problems were the same in all these places. Shared-paths, with or without green paint, with or without special crossings for both cyclists and pedestrians, with or without signs giving notice of these facilities were imposed randomly on a system that didn't need any of them.

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
Grendel said:
I was on a local cyclepath, part of which is a dual use pavement, clearly signposted with the blue pedestrian/cycle signs, and cycle signs on the ground.
I was doing a reasonably slow speed, and had slowed down further as there were pedestrians about. A passing jogger remarked as he passed me "Not enough room on the road"?
As I had a train to catch I let it go, but as soon as I see him again he's getting both barrels. Cheeky git.:o)

Walking to school with my daughter this morning and who passes me? The aforementioned jogger! I waved him down and explained that last week he had made remarks as I passed him on a dual use pavement. He was actually quite apologetic, and admitted that he didn't know that it was a cyclepath as well. I said that if he would take his eyes up from the pavement occasionally he may notice the signs!
Cyclist 1- Jogger 0:tongue:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Grendel said:
Walking to school with my daughter this morning and who passes me? The aforementioned jogger! I waved him down and explained that last week he had made remarks as I passed him on a dual use pavement. He was actually quite apologetic, and admitted that he didn't know that it was a cyclepath as well. I said that if he would take his eyes up from the pavement occasionally he may notice the signs!
Cyclist 1- Jogger 0:tongue:

Excellent, well done!

Cab

Result.

Although now I'm singing 'Grendel' to myself. Theres another 17 minutes of my life eaten by prog rock I'll not get back.

Top Bottom