Dual/Mixed use pavements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Today, on the path along Oxford Road - this is a segregated bike path, separatedfrom the road by both a pavement *and* some "dead space" - about 20 ft away at some points, I'd guess, the was a car.

Not parked up cheekily in the bit by the shops, like the window cleaners' vans sometimes are, but driving along. Silver Peugeot estate, M reg - evidently driven by a complete f* wit. Left the path opposite the MRI to rejoin the road by crossing the dead space *and* pavement. Twat.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I use some of the shared path's around here - more often than not the ones that give a good short cut or avoid an awkward junction.

Its a case of trimming your speed to those around you. There is one place near a school where you get young kids strung out across a lane and I just go at their pace you never know when one would suddenly run in front of you. Today I heard one child telling another to get out of my way, so I pointed out that "not to worry I was fine and practising going very slow". I've never had any agro from pedestrians there.

thomas

the tank engine
I liked the system in Vietnam. It was easier crossing a 20 meter road full of mo-peds than it is to cross a small 2 lane road in the UK. Just walk slowly, don't stop and just watch out for people...they'll watch out for you and avoid you. Linked to a video - it's not the best example, but only one I have.

Shared used facilities have their uses...but to be honest, as long as people are considerate on the pavement it doesn't really matter. Some people barely cycle faster than walking pace anyway.

I tend to avoid shared use lanes. Most of the time I'd (like to think) I'm going to fast to use them. I don't really trust them not to leave me in a vulnerable situation at the end because there are some bad ones.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Might not be an impatient driver, but certainly is an impatient cyclist with the potential to behave poorly towards pedestrians, hence the analogy.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
wafflycat said:
Shared use farcilities are the Spawn of Satan. To be avoided.

It doesn't matter what's painted on them, they are essentially pavements.

BentMikey said:
I'd be the first to tell the cyclist he is a James Blunt. Pedestrians should get time and space, and not any fear from us. We're the ones that bring danger to them, after all.

unless they're carrying a chain saw :rolleyes:

thomas said:
Shared used facilities have their uses...but to be honest, as long as people are considerate on the pavement it doesn't really matter. Some people barely cycle faster than walking pace anyway.

I tend to avoid shared use lanes. Most of the time I'd (like to think) I'm going to fast to use them. I don't really trust them not to leave me in a vulnerable situation at the end because there are some bad ones.

There's a woman that me and the wife bump into if I walk with her into town as she's going to work who rides a small folding bike, on the pavement weaving in between the wheelie bins on a terraced street full of kids, parents and pushchairs on their way to the local junior school

the woman is going quite slow, but there isn't space for the parents and push chairs, never mind a woman on a bike, the road isn't that busy despite being a more main route than the other streets around it, she'd be fine on the road.

wafflycat

John the Monkey said:
I'd sound a cautious "not alas" for this bit of the law, as it goes.

It's one of the few surviving vestiges of the idea that we all have a right to the public highways - something some cyclists (wrt pedestrians) and a great many more motons (with regard to, well, everybody) would do well to remember. The creeping abdication of responsibility for the safety of others embraced so wholeheartedly in our attitude to road use is something worth resisting, imo.

I take your point.

My 'alas' was meant more in general terms about shared use farcilities as they create conflict.

iendicott

BentMikey said:
Might not be an impatient driver, but certainly is an impatient cyclist with the potential to behave poorly towards pedestrians, hence the analogy.

How do you work that one out ? I stop at red lights, I am in hurry to place myself in danger, I give way to pedestrians but there is a line drawn when people act plain stupid when a bike comes towards them. ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
*Exactly*. You're overly impatient and irritated with pedestrians in the cycle lane. Slow it down and take more care, sunbeam.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Land speed records must be set away from pedestrians. Anyone cycling on a shared path MUST act like the ped is about to walk anywhere with NO indication, and ride accordingly.

GrasB

Veteran
ComedyPilot said:
Land speed records must be set away from pedestrians. Anyone cycling on a shared path MUST act like the ped is about to walk anywhere with NO indication, and ride accordingly.
So as I say, 12mph or so really is to fast on a shared cycle path.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
It's common sense FFS. If there's no-one about speeds can be raised. As soon as peds appear (or other bikes) slow down?

Next lesson: rocket science.

Top Bottom