Dual/Mixed use pavements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grendel

Veteran
I was on a local cyclepath, part of which is a dual use pavement, clearly signposted with the blue pedestrian/cycle signs, and cycle signs on the ground.
I was doing a reasonably slow speed, and had slowed down further as there were pedestrians about. A passing jogger remarked as he passed me "Not enough room on the road"?
As I had a train to catch I let it go, but as soon as I see him again he's getting both barrels. Cheeky git.;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are lethal so I steer clear really.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It just goes to show how many dumb humans are out there. I wonder how often I'm right about some driver screwing up, it could just as well be me in the same way this runner made a mistake.

mark i

I have had the same thing when I used to get the train home, then cycle the rest. There are cycle paths around Birmingham Airport that are shared foot / cycle paths with no demarcation. Following couple wearing headphones wheeling big suitcases across the full width. "excuse me"......"EXCUSE ME"......"*EXCUSE ME!!". No need to shout, why aren't you on the road anyway? Points at blue sign with cyclist and pedestrian on..... I suspect I made them jump as they could not hear....

jezhiggins

Ped: "You should be in the cycle lane"

Me: "I would be, if you weren't walking in it"

I generally avoid shared-used paths. At least on the road you only have to worry about drivers.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
HLaB said:
I tend to stay away from them. The ones which are designed wide enough aren't too bad but too many of them are the retrofit type where there wasn't even enough room for a couple of peds alone.

There's an odd one in Manchester where there's a good wide cycle lane, and a good wide pavement. Problem is, the pavement is 5 yards or so further from the shops, so everyone walks in the cycle lane.

Compounding this is the fact that the road is f* lethal - long stretches of guard rails, and the delights of Magic Bus' sociopathic drivers to deal with. The only really good solution is to take another route.

wafflycat

Shared use farcilities are the Spawn of Satan. To be avoided.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The only shared lane i use is in hyde park. It's not so bad when there isn't anyone around, and because it's clearly marked and a lot of people use it. you don't get many people giving you grief or walking out in front of you.

iendicott

We have loads of these in Peterborough due to it being a cycling city, I got very close to 1 or 2 people because they weren't paying attention, I did have a pop at one guy who was walking in the cycle lane (The ped bit was completely clear), it ended up with me pointing to the picture of the bike painted in the lane and then pointing to the pedestrian sign painted in his lane ;)

wafflycat

iendicott said:
We have loads of these in Peterborough due to it being a cycling city, I got very close to 1 or 2 people because they weren't paying attention, I did have a pop at one guy who was walking in the cycle lane (The ped bit was completely clear), it ended up with me pointing to the picture of the bike painted in the lane and then pointing to the pedestrian sign painted in his lane ;)

Alas, under English law it is up to the cyclist to remain in the part identified for cyclists, but there is no onus for the pedestrian to stay on the part 'designated' for peds. Peds can roam as they require all over a shared use farcility.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
wafflycat said:
Alas, under English law it is up to the cyclist to remain in the part identified for cyclists, but there is no onus for the pedestrian to stay on the part 'designated' for peds. Peds can roam as they require all over a shared use farcility.

I'd sound a cautious "not alas" for this bit of the law, as it goes.

It's one of the few surviving vestiges of the idea that we all have a right to the public highways - something some cyclists (wrt pedestrians) and a great many more motons (with regard to, well, everybody) would do well to remember. The creeping abdication of responsibility for the safety of others embraced so wholeheartedly in our attitude to road use is something worth resisting, imo.

Dan B

Disengaged member
John the Monkey said:
I'd sound a cautious "not alas" for this bit of the law, as it goes.
+1

It's not just about passing and repassing: these are public spaces we're talking about, and a mark of civilisation is to be able to share them in a, well, civilised fashion with the rest of the public who use them

Top Bottom