Dun Running? Try Dun Run II - 1st October 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would probably have concurred with the stay in bed club, but not having done a group ride recently, I wanted to 'set sail' on Friday - rain or no rain. Loads of time to get to Dunwich and eat without queueing, and a motorised return on the rails. Besides, Adrian kept me back from doing this ride earlier in the year. He insisted I stay and talk tailoring (For I am an expert :rolleyes:) on the Brighton seafront, whilst plying me with Pinot brittle.
2rmruiu.jpg

The Pub on the Park was the cornerstone of Fixie Central. Locals who walked past glanced nervously at the lumps of extra stuff dangling from the bottoms of our frames. (No more about bits dangling from bottoms - Stu is probably wincing this morning).

Adam said "Wet roads but dry weather". Give the man a job at the Met Office. I have this built-in baselayer, the result of years of research...:whistle:
Generally, it was warm but during the course of the evening, everything worn was appreciated, not least because it affords a few extra storage places for food, flasks and fones...

Apart from the sensory experiences, I liked the long stretches where it was possible to listen - no whooshing traffic in the distance, or hundreds of other riders...I kept looking for signs of dawn - one of the most satisfying rewards for a night rider.

I rode on my Veneto - which is essentially an aluminium frame, geared bike with raceblades fitted for politeness. It also had M+ 25s fitted which
made for a 'treacly' ride but it behaved well. The point is, I have been riding my Planet X Ti - wow! What a difference in ride. The Ti is a dream,
and so comfortable - all the time. Although the Veneto is set up ok, I was conscious of 'riding it'. Sounds a bit pretentious, but there was a massive difference in feel which makes me want to go for a carbon ride now - and compare what I also previously though was comfortable but a bit 'flexy' for me. Enough waffle.
e6efth.jpg

Dawn, the silence, coolness, mist and dew formed a morning cocktail which we drank with our eyes.
ka4v41.jpg

Frequent stops to try and capture feelings - impossible, but worth a go. And then the day began for the local people, as the cars, lorries and vans were driven to Saturday morning pleasures.
2ldyjhy.jpg

Probably the most photographed boat in Dunwich - 'blue sea thinking'.
I even went to the beach! Saw the Sizewell B reactor in the distance - another monument to modern times.
ejgbkp.jpg

The beach at Dunwich is a popular place and it was interesting to see it as an 'everyday' location, rather than being awash with cyclists, and the built in departure time meant we could watch the world go by, talk to people and soak up the sun.
(Are you listening Wales and London? "S-U-N"..."H-O-T"..."R-E-L-A-X" :smile: )

Our return, from Darsham, led us to meander through the village way of life once again and await the thirteen thirty eight. To London. Long to rain over us. Thanks chaps - a 25 hour session of bike thought led to an untroubled 8 hours last night.
Another 'AAA' for 2010! Good on you Adam.
Change that tube Stu - get the Sudocream applied. Remember, rucksacks are out for Whitstable. If you or marinyork turn up with anything over two kgs, all the straps will be cut and made into sandals for yacf members. And remember the 'carb loading'? In your tummy - not in your bag!
:smile:

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I'll admit by Tuesday I was wondering about the sanity of doing this, judging by the expected weather, but by Wednesday night I reckoned a nice little window of opportunity would open up for us. *

It had stopped raining before 8 pm at home, although when I arrived at St Pancras just before 11 pm, it was still drizzling, and there were enormous puddles everywhere.

Due to Stu's training problem, we didn't set off until 00.50. Unlike other parts of London, the north section seemed very devoid of people, no drunks or chavs in cars, so it was all very pleasant zooming up the A104 to Epping. About the only places still open at that time were exotic greengrocers. Oh, and I also spotted a traditional Indian pizza place (?)

Once we'd left North Weald, it really was very civilised to be cycling along on your own, without 1,000 + other cyclists. We just followed the roads, mentally ticking off the names of the villages.

At times there were little pockets of mist, but the skies were mainly clear allowing you to see the stars whilst the moon had a thin covering of cloud and provided a nice pinky orange glow. We rolled into Sudbury just before 6 am, and as always, after the long downhill on the A131, the lights turned to red! A slight diversion off the official route saw us at Tesco which seemed quite busy, although probably more staff than customers. By the time we set off again, the sky was getting fairly bright with lovely pinkish shades. I've taken some photos but will have to post them later, once I've sorted the camera out. Several times though I was thinking - that's a Constable moment.

Due to the sun coming up and heating up all the water sat on the fields, you could now see a layer of fog/low cloud above us, covering the sky, but I knew by the time we got to Dunwich, it would burn off. Needham Market was a hive of activity due to an enormous car boot sale, and once past the A13, there did seem to be more cars around, with everyone rushing around. Everyone should just chill! We stuck on the A1120, rather than weaving around all the little villages to the south, and then stopped at the corner shop opposite the church in Yoxford to get more food and drink. And then that just left 6 miles to get to Dunwich.

Although according to the internet, the Flora Cafe opened at 11, it turns out it was 9 am, and you could see why, as the car park was full of people, as well as the cyclists for the Suffolk Byways audax. The sun was out, blue sky and I wished I was in shorts. So for anyone who didn't turn up because they thought they might get wet, it really was a glorious day to be on the beach. And as the tide was out a bit, I even discovered Dunwich has some sand!

Although we did 7 hours 58 minutes of actual cycling, it always amazes me how much stoppage time you end up accumulating, as the elapsed time was 10 hours.

Reluctantly, we headed for Darsham Station and then back towards London, and we could see the clouds build up, and then getting darker and darker, so that we emerged into a morass of people at a very drizzly Liverpool Street Station, to then make our respective ways home.

Thanks again to User10571, Martin & Stu for persevering with the plan and for being excellent company.

* no cats had been harmed in the making of that forecast.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Thank you for taking my photo Stu - next time, get my good side (it's the one where you can see the soles of my feet).
Now. you're a naughty boy. You shouldn't have done that ride in any form of discomfort. If you found it hard to keep up because of that fact then you should have given yourself time to recover. Turning up on the off chance that there may be a similar 'thrust' to this as there is on a mixed ability Friday Night Ride was folly and you do yourself no favours - tomorrow your butt will be stinging harder than the Sizewell bee - and it will not appreciate you for causing that problem.
Poor Pashley girl - you framed her to escape the wrath of tyre spotters everywhere! Change the tube etc. Apart from that, well done for making your first 'London Fields to Dunwich ride...next Summer's ride, there will be all sorts of groups to latch on to - something with a pace that you might expect, which will help things along for you...Just bring sunglasses as the red flashing lights and 'overtake and sit in front of you brigade' is a pain. And, you will get left behind if you are not 100%. Prep. will be your key.
Can't read all that stuff about the train - tell me about the countryside and the early-morning birdsong, the owl and the duck chevron lancing across the seafront...I'm a simple sort. ;)
Having checked the tyre this morning, it might well be a slow puncture- wheel seems OK thankfully as far as I can tell, but the tyre had definitely lost pressure (again!). I gave it a pump up this morning, seems to be OK so far. I have tubes if not. And 'poor girl'? She had plenty of room to not hit me and still couldn't manage it. At least she seems not to gave caused any damage.
RE the sores: I'd obviously noted them but had no problems riding during the week (60-odd miles in civvies). Doing 120+ miles, even with the right kit, was probably not the best idea (to put it mildly), but I thought I was up to it. The benefits of hindsight (ha ha)...But I'm still glad I did it, that was an experience and a half- and I didn't do too badly under the circumstances. Will be out for some Sudocrem later, that should hopefully sort them out without the need to have yet another course of antibiotics.....

StuAff

Although the Veneto is set up ok, I was conscious of 'riding it'. Sounds a bit pretentious, but there was a massive difference in feel which makes me want to go for a carbon ride now - and compare what I also previously though was comfortable but a bit 'flexy' for me. Enough waffle.
Not pretentious at all. When I got the Squadra (alu/carbon mix), part of me was wondering whether the Viner was as good as I remembered it, or if I was viewing it with rose-tinted specs. Nope. Admittedly, the Viner's now got 25mm tyres (which are usually correctly inflated, honest), gel pads under the tape, etc...but it's definitely better. Squadra's a terrific bike, but the Viner's just that bit better.

StuAff

Remember, rucksacks are out for Whitstable. If you or marinyork turn up with anything over two kgs, all the straps will be cut and made into sandals for yacf members. And remember the 'carb loading'? In your tummy - not in your bag!
:smile:

I'll have to agree to disagree with you on that. It's either the rucksack or the Carradice. My pump simply will not fit in a regular saddle bag (OK, I could go down the CO2 route, but....). I'd rather not take the risk of not having the means to fix a puncture... Let alone the D-lock (the flimsy freebie proved to be just that...and if you think I'm going to risk the Viner getting nicked and invalidating the insurance by not using a decent lock, think on...). And the idea of bringing the food is so that I can eat it as and when, which I do (everything I bring gets eaten- I just burn calories in a regular day, let alone when I'm out and about!) That's what I need to do, so that's what I do.

StuAff

Went out this morning for the Sudocrem- took the Viner as (a) I might as well get it dirtier before I clean it, and the rainwater might rinse it off a bit and (b) I wanted to check the tyre pressure was holding up. Fortunately it was, and everything running smoothly, so it was just the soft rear causing the problems. I'll obviously keep checking, but seems to be OK now.
Cream now applied, seems to be helping already (an hour since first application!), so I hope no further treatment will be needed
smile.gif

frank9755

Cyclist
Well done guys and thanks for posting some great pictures and poetic reports. Stu I hope that your 'soft rear' clears up soon!

Very sorry I didn't make it, but at least I got a good result from my other ride.

The reason I dropped out was so that I could have a decent shot at a time trial today. Since I got back from a month in the Himalayas I have been feeling so good when I've been cycling compared to earlier in the year, and wanted to see what I could do. I made a complete mess of one last Sunday, after having ridden to Southend and back, so it was today or nothing. I managed to do even better than I had hoped for an took over 4 mins off my personal best (for 25 miles) - so apologies again for dropping out but, as I learned last week, I can't do both a 100+ mile night ride and a decent time trial in the same weekend!

Looking forward to the next Dunwich outing!

Well done Frank! Glad to hear you're under the four hour mark now. :tongue: There's no way you could have done that and a TT again, particularly after the Himalayas. It would have left you with a mountain to climb and you would need to ev a rest from time to time...

Yes, it was a good one - see you soon.

Top Bottom