Dun Running? Try Dun Run II - 1st October 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
[QUOTE 1142550"]
The important bit - I presume becuase it is Suffolk then most of the route is flattish?
[/quote]

Here's my GPS data for last week. Fairly flat, but annoyingly up and down at the same time.

Andy84

Veteran
Just had a quick look at the routes, and it definatly looks flatter than the ride at the weekend, and about half the climbing of the Surrey 100.

I wont put my name down just yet, I'll see how the rest of the summer goes in trying to increase my average speed.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The part between Epping and Sudbury seems almost down hill all the way. Just a few small ups and downs towards the end

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Definitely London Fields. However, if we set off at the traditional 8-9 pm, then we'd arrive at silly o'clock, so I reckon possibly a later departure time, perhaps midnight might make more sense, as that way we'd arrive at a more respectable time.

Eurygnomes

I'm very very tempted to (foolishly) put my name down for this. But I've never ridden a 100m let alone 120. I think it'd be pushing my limits a bit too much unless the pace was Fnrttc pace. And it was flat. Pancake-styles.

*pondering furiously*

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm very very tempted to (foolishly) put my name down for this. But I've never ridden a 100m let alone 120. I think it'd be pushing my limits a bit too much unless the pace was Fnrttc pace. And it was flat. Pancake-styles.

*pondering furiously*

You won't know if you can do it unless you try! I don't want to either put you off or encourage you to do something too stretching, but a couple of things to consider:

It is quite flat, but not pancake-like! There are rolling hills, especially in Suffolk. They are not long or steep, but they are noticeable. Check the GPS traces that are posted on the other thread, or have a look at the OS maps with contours.

It is not such an easy route to bail out of half-way (something for us all to think about - need some warm clothes etc in case of non-trivial mechanicals, etc). It goes through less-populated countryside than most of the FNRttC routes.

I would personally want to have got the distance under my belt on a day ride before attempting it overnight. You've done night rides. And if you've done a similar distance already, then most of the doubt is taken out of the equation. And there's plenty of time before October!

frank9755

Cyclist
Definitely London Fields. However, if we set off at the traditional 8-9 pm, then we'd arrive at silly o'clock, so I reckon possibly a later departure time, perhaps midnight might make more sense, as that way we'd arrive at a more respectable time.

Makes sense.

The other thought I had was to do it in the day time, so we could see the route - but the flaw in that is getting to Dunwich in the evening, hitting the pub, and having a long trip home!

zigzag

Veteran
Makes sense.

The other thought I had was to do it in the day time, so we could see the route - but the flaw in that is getting to Dunwich in the evening, hitting the pub, and having a long trip home!

if i was doing it, i'd like to set off from london fields at 5am, when it's getting light to enjoy the scenery. there should be little traffic in the early hours. reach sudbury around 9-10am, have a break, then continue towards dunwich aiming to be there at 2-3pm. have a meal, a pint or 2, enjoy the sunshine, leave for ipswich at 4pm, catch the 6pm train to london, and be back home at good time. no sleepless nights, more options for food stops and bail out if something happens. of course if someone is determined to do a round trip on a bike, the evening start would be better.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It's so much easier to stay awake all night than it is to get up at 4am to get to LF for 5am though...

Biscuit

Legendary Member
The Tesco is indeed 24-7 however the macky d's isn't. I'm currently in two minds weather I should do the Dusk till Dawn in Thetford forest that weekend, or have another go with you guys.
If so, as I live all by myself...a minor ( 5 mile ) detour would take us right past my house, at the halfway point. Although my Dog may attempt to chew the arse out of your shorts if you got there before me.

I like the idea of a daytime ride for some reason. Although getting to Dunwich sober may be a problem.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer

*pondering furiously*

First off, I can't recall seeing you going slowly on the FNRttC. Perhaps it was the lure of the beer cider at the end, keeping you pedalling, who knows. Secondly, the Dun Run is 113 miles, so I've saved you 7 miles already. The Whitstable ride is probably fairly comparable in the rolling nature, as it doesn't have any big long steep hills unlike Brighton. So see how you feel after doing that, which is 65 miles or so.

Once you've got that under your belt, you'll be thinking, well it's only a little more, what's the problem. :thumbsup:

Eurygnomes

First off, I can't recall seeing you going slowly on the FNRttC.

You must've beat me up the beacon then! :whistle: That was pretty slow. I need could do with some hill training.

Secondly, the Dun Run is 113 miles, so I've saved you 7 miles already. The Whitstable ride is probably fairly comparable in the rolling nature, as it doesn't have any big long steep hills unlike Brighton. So see how you feel after doing that, which is 65 miles or so.

Once you've got that under your belt, you'll be thinking, well it's only a little more, what's the problem. :thumbsup:

Good thinkin'. Will do. In which case, can you please pencil me in for this ride until I make it home from Whitstable and confirm in either direction?

And to the gentleman who suggested I get a 100m under my belt prior to the DDII (sorry I can't recall your screenname right now); thanks for the advice too.

Milles merci!
'N

Top Bottom