Dun Running? Try Dun Run II - 1st October 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
If you're planning on riding back, that should be on the 2nd October. :thumbsup:

Yes 2nd. About time I had a go at 200 miles. I was planning to ride to Liverpool but Rox has now moved back down south so IF I can get away with another night ride this could be the one.

frank9755

Cyclist
About time I had a go at 200 miles. I was planning to ride to Liverpool but Rox has now moved back down south.
Did she move at short notice!
smile.gif

Hope you get a pass-out

Frank

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Yes she did. 2 weeks notice before she started her new job down here, rather than having to get out of Liverpool quick smart. ;)

Thinking about this (Dun Run II) on the bike in, this morning. ( My alternate ride that weekend is the Dusk Till Dawn at Thetford.)

i) The MTB boys are still titting around deciding whether the D2D will be teams of 2 or 4 and if everyone wants to share the gazeebo etc.
ii) Thetford riding always makes my back ache, there's just no rest on any of the sections.
iii) Despite being in a relay of 4, you still won't get any kip while the other 3 do their laps in turn.
iv) The dunrun with gears would be good, plus I could swim, which I didn't last time, and now regret.
v) The route comes past my house near enough.
vi) There wasn't a vi).. I'd arrived at work by then. I'm a slow thinker.

So I was thinking perhaps I might do this.....

Pick up with the peloton as it goes through Sudbury. Actually if you want to divert using Stevevw's handy route, you could come right past my house ( half way) around about 1am. This has several benefits.
i) it allows me to join in the back of the peloton with bugger all effort, and it's only 60 miles to Dunwich, which means I may have some chance of making the 60 miles back again in the morning.
ii) you all get fed, coffee'd, use the toilet etc halfway. I'm thinking soup, bacon rolls that sort of thing.
iii) anyone doing the double gets the same treatment on the way back to either Londinium or Herts.
iv) Nethergate brewery are based in my village.

As an alternative I could bike to Sudbury for the first part, loaded down with sandwiches in a rucksack, and meet you all there??

Any takers for this shining example of clarity on the bike thinking. Or is it all tosh?

BTW Oct 23rd is a Sat and a full moon.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Biscuit, that's a very kind offer of hospitality. However, it's likely we'll be looking at a later departure from London around midnight, so that we arrive at Dunwich at a more respectable time when things are open (the tea rooms open at 10, whilst the Flora Cafe on the beach opens at 11). So I'm not so sure you'll want a group of cyclists waking your neighbours at 5 am! However, if you want to tag along at that time, that'll be fine. As mentioned at the start, we'll stop off anyway at the Tesco's in Sudbury.

I'd decided not to wait until the full moon in case there's a FNRttC being run then, and the 1st was the first available date for me!

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Biscuit, that's a very kind offer of hospitality. However, it's likely we'll be looking at a later departure from London around midnight, so that we arrive at Dunwich at a more respectable time when things are open (the tea rooms open at 10, whilst the Flora Cafe on the beach opens at 11). So I'm not so sure you'll want a group of cyclists waking your neighbours at 5 am! However, if you want to tag along at that time, that'll be fine. As mentioned at the start, we'll stop off anyway at the Tesco's in Sudbury.

I'd decided not to wait until the full moon in case there's a FNRttC being run then, and the 1st was the first available date for me!

Fair Enough ! :-)

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
{Bump}

For the return journey on the Saturday, as I very much doubt I'll be cycling back, train tickets from Darsham to London Liverpool Street (with no need to change at Ipswich) can be obtained for between £8 and £10. I'm booked with the bike on the 13.38 departure.

Is there a particular trigger? How fragile is their state of mind at the moment? Would a single shocking act do the trick or does it require a steady, unrelenting undermining of their personality?

marna

Adrian was right next to me for a good portion of the Beacon - at least on one of his ascents - and did not push me into the ditch even once!

I am actually quite tempted by this madness you're proposing, but;

1. I am plenty slower than you lot! We did the dd this year, but were nearly 12 hours from park to beach. We could have been a bit speedier, I think - bike traffic, and a 30min wait in Fitchingfield because of an accident ahead, and so on, delayed us. But I am not super-swift, and I get slower as the ride gets longer. I will need at least ten hours to get to the end. I'm a bit speedier than the average fnrttc speed, despite liking to lurk at the back, but not that much.

2. I am totally dropping out if the forecast says wet or icy. Me and cold dampness are not good cycling chums.

So I'll not be sad if you say you'd rather not have me along. But I did very much enjoy the
gentle rollingness of the Suffolk countryside last time, (no alarming hills - up or down!) and am in theory up for this, weather permitting.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've gone from 'definitely maybe' to 'definitely not' as I can't get a pass.

Enjoy yourselves one and all.

Top Bottom