Dun Running? Try Dun Run II - 1st October 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Naomi - you'll do this easily - Adam is really considerate saving you 7 already. It's just the return via Luton and then drop down into N London that might start biting a bit! ;)...but you'll be hallucinating superbly by then so it's ok. :smile:

Eurygnomes

Naomi - you'll do this easily - Adam is really considerate saving you 7 already. It's just the return via Luton and then drop down into N London that might start biting a bit! ;)...but you'll be hallucinating superbly by then so it's ok. :smile:

BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

'Nomes turns around and cycles back. Yeah, right.

As it was, while pondering furiously, my fingers slipped a few times over the internet, and I found out it's (a mere) 26 further miles to my Grandmothers' on the coast in Alderton. A glass of claret, an episode of Poirot and the quietude of a room facing the some fields and the sea could be as big a carrot as the cider.

Or, her boyfriend could just come collect Red and me! :tongue:

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
You must've beat me up the beacon then! :whistle: That was pretty slow. I need could do with some hill training.

The rest of the time you were going OK!

Anyway, I had a special reason for rushing past you on Ditchling. After Wivelsfield, I suddenly remembered I had all the chalks in my rucksack, so I raced off from the back to hand those over to Martin at the greenhouses, so he could get busy with the road art work. I then went back to Des, to ensure the tail enders were still OK.

By the time we got back to the greenhouses, I could see Simon was likely to set off soon, despite the efforts of people to delay him. Therefore I had to rush up Ditchling to be sure I got to the top before him, to put up the inner tube poster and to ensure I could video Simon's arrival.

Anyway, hills do get easier with practice. The first time I did Ditchling, I was on the lowest gear of my triple bike, but after a few occasions, I ended up having a few gears to spare.

gbs

Guru
I'm tempted - will see how I feel after a 100 miler; that will be quite a stepup from my "normal" 100-120k solo runs.

Canardly

Veteran
I am hugely intruiged about the geographic spread of you lot. These runs sound like a real hoot but I am puzzled, given the horror stories about rail and bikes, how you all manage to get home (notwithstanding chips, beer, wine etc) and the level of confidence you express in not being stranded miles away. Those of you that do a couple of hundred miles on your fixie up ben nevis before going to work work I can understand, but we lesser mortals......

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
goorn my son.. you know you want to.. another 100+ miler for ya..
thumbsup.png

I could be a definite possible for this.

Mark.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I am hugely intruiged about the geographic spread of you lot. These runs sound like a real hoot but I am puzzled, given the horror stories about rail and bikes, how you all manage to get home (notwithstanding chips, beer, wine etc) and the level of confidence you express in not being stranded miles away. Those of you that do a couple of hundred miles on your fixie up ben nevis before going to work work I can understand, but we lesser mortals......

All good questions.

Firstly, you need to have a certain level of confidence in your bike. For example, as part of the FNRttC initiation ceremony, you're required to confirm you've read the FAQ, and this neatly summarises the key things to go over before hand. Generally on rides you'll usually have a number of people who carry enough tools for minor repairs. Granted, if a wheel goes completely, then you're stuck. On this sort of ride at night, there's a lot of open countryside so getting back to civilisation could mean a long wait. However, the chances of that arising are very, very slim.

Train-wise for the journey back, it's not normally an issue. It's been very rare when a rail official has stuck to the rules and limited the number of bikes allowed on, and normally that's only on the 1 or 2 car units. For something like this, some may cycle back, or it's just over 20 miles to Ipswich where the trains have good old fashioned guards vans capable of holding 20+ bikes. If there's engineering works, then you can always cycle to the next usable station! Although before starting this, in any event I'd checked to make sure there weren't any planned works on the line.

Tynan

Veteran
if your wheel goes completely, SteveVW sends a camper van with a spare and a splendid box of tools

Surely ride somewhere less desolate and hard to get back from?

frank9755

Cyclist
When are you planning to do this Steve. Your route literally comes through my living room.

Steve, I'm interested. I may head a bit to the left when we pass Biscuit's sofa, to head back into London.

Biscuit, I'm assuming we're still talking about 1st October (unless I've lost the thread)

Frank

Top Bottom