Dunwich Dynamo 30th June 2012 Roll call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I often do a ride that is circular from Epping through to Dunmow and back via Takeley to Harlow. It matters not what the weather gurus say. I usually have a head wind all the way round.

I've had strong wind on loads of rides and it never helps, in the lead up to this weekend's ride I've had a lot of lentils, beans and chick peas so that could all be about to change.

compo

Veteran
I've had strong wind on loads of rides and it never helps, in the lead up to this weekend's ride I've had a lot of lentils, beans and chick peas so that could all be about to change.

As well as helping progress could also help avoid chaffing.

OP
OP
4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I got very close to my house last year and had to take a detour to make sure I got 150 miles on the clock. Can't beat the feeling of leaving home on the bike and arriving by the same method.

mattobrien

Guru
Yes, pre DD beer completed last night. Again, not sure what was agreed, but a nice evening int he pub nonetheless.

Andrew, I am planning on bringing my mini gorilla (battery, not small ape), so if we hook up some kind of extra long lead, I am sure you can pinch some power, on the condition that you cycle within 2 meters while charging :smile:

And yes, cycling home is obligatory, either that or I haven't got any mates who are willing to come and pick me up at that time of day.

Hoping that I might be able to pop over for a pint in the pre DD beers session 2 tomorrow night. Just need parents evening to be mercifully short...

mattobrien

Guru
And back on to Suffolk names bearing no resemblance to how they are pronounced, near me we have Grundisburgh and Burgh, neighbouring villages.

Grundisburgh is pronounced grundsborough (in my house anyway) and burgh is pronounced berg by all and sundry and they are right next to each other! What hope do you 'outsiders' have :welcome:

The over riding thing to remember is that Andrew is correct in the pronounciation of haverhill...

OP
OP
4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
And yes, cycling home is obligatory, either that or I haven't got any mates who are willing to come and pick me up at that time of day.

Last year in passing I mentioned to my wife it might be nice if she came and picked me up, the look of horror on her face :cursing: made me realise that cycling home was the better option :bicycle:

TechnoTim2011

My new local Bike Shop Torque Bikes in Sudbury (you know the place loads of drunken clubbers and small hills in and out), will, with my help be running a pit stop on the way out of Sudbury at http://goo.gl/maps/38qJ

Apart from filling water bottles we will be selling spares, doing emergency repairs and we are just ascertaining what else to offer. We will definitely be offering smiles and encouragement and I will be attempting to get good photos and maybe video of the Dunwich Dynamo.

If this seems like a shameless plug, and it sort of is, but we needed a story to interest the local media to publicise the only LBS in Sudbury and I have filled bidons for the last 2 years so it made sense. So please drop by and say hello.

We are looking forward to it.

My original aim was to ride the dunrun this year with a stop-off at home. but since my accident in October took a) a long time to heal and b) my bike took even longer but got fixed in 20 minutes by TorqueBikes with donated bits I am not yet in anything like good enough shape. Maybe next year.

TechnoTim2011

And back on to Suffolk names bearing no resemblance to how they are pronounced, near me we have Grundisburgh and Burgh, neighbouring villages.

Grundisburgh is pronounced grundsborough (in my house anyway) and burgh is pronounced berg by all and sundry and they are right next to each other! What hope do you 'outsiders' have :welcome:

The over riding thing to remember is that Andrew is correct in the pronounciation of haverhill...

In Sudbury Havehill is pronounced Have-a-hole (twinned with Beirut)

compo

Veteran
Tim's post got me thinking about the various bike shops that have tried to make a success in Sudbury and failed. Though not in Sudbury, can anyone remember the name of the bike shop in Castle Hedingham, sadly closed down several years ago.

TechnoTim2011

Tim's post got me thinking about the various bike shops that have tried to make a success in Sudbury and failed. Though not in Sudbury, can anyone remember the name of the bike shop in Castle Hedingham, sadly closed down several years ago.

I know the one you mean will text around and find name.

Streetlife was badly run, They messed up a repair for me and the service was generally awful. This is out of the centre but with the right support this one will survive. With so many many cyclists now Sudbury needs a serious LBS and this is.

Running Tuesday evening mountain bike rides and being a short hop off Suffolk Cycle route A helps. I am doing all I can to promote it. please spread the word bor (for non Suffolk peeps 'bor' is a Suffolkism short for neighbour)

compo

Veteran
I've remembered. Buckley Saxon Cycles. They really catered for the upper end of the market whilst paying lip service to the cheaper end.

Top Bottom