Dunwich Dynamo 4th July 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Davywalnuts said:
Aperitif, just read about this ride, now I understand it, am up for it. There and back yeh? MacBludgeon riding back too?

I hope you are ok using the countryside toilet now, not many public toilets out that way. :wacko:

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Just re-booked my train ticket from Darsham to Liverpool Street on the Saturday afternoon. I originally booked online through thetrainline.com £8 + £1 booking free, but after talking to FFFF about booking a bike space I was unable to get any definitive answer to if I would be allowed to take the bike or not. :biggrin: I tried ringing National Express but was told that as I booked online I could not book a space over the phone. I could though go to Darsham and ask for a space to be reserved for my bike :biggrin: I explained that Darsham was over 100 miles away from me and that the station was also unmanned making the trip pointless. They then said I could try my local station who may be able to help. I will not hold my breath.

So to cut a long story short I gave up and rebooked using the National Express website which gave the option to book a bike space and was £1.90 cheaper too.

If any one of you Suffolk folk would like a rail ticket from Darsham to Liverpool Street for the 15:38 on 4th July I have one you can have for free, you will have to sort out your own bike space though. :biggrin:

redjedi

Über Member
I can't believe I have only just seen this one. 500+ riders, better make that 1 more :biggrin:

Hi Steve, is the ride not on the Saturday night/Sunday Monday, meaning you need a ticket for Sunday 5th not Saturday the 4th, or have I missed something.

I'm not sure how good a bike booking will be if 20+ cyclists all turn up and want to get the same train.
I think I will ride back to Ipswich where there are 2 trains an hour.

Edit: I've just realised, that the ticket is to get to the start

Dan B

Disengaged member
dellzeqq said:
crikey!

not doing it on skates, then?
Was tempted, but I remember long gravelly stretches from last time which are not conducive to roller skating ...

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
redjedi said:
Edit: I've just realised, that the ticket is to get to the start

Yep thats it, I will be driving over so the Camper van will be at the end so I can have a sleep before going home. :angry:

You may want to book the coach for the return as only 4 bikes at a time on the train, you may have a very long wait to get on the train :angry:

redjedi

Über Member
I don't really fancy a coach trip, I think I would rather cycle back (I didn't actually just say that did I :angry: )

All the sunday trains have to change at Ipswich anyway, so hopefully I could get a train in between the Darsham connection, but I might try and book a bike place to see it it helps.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
redjedi said:
I don't really fancy a coach trip, I think I would rather cycle back (I didn't actually just say that did I :angry: )

All the sunday trains have to change at Ipswich anyway, so hopefully I could get a train in between the Darsham connection, but I might try and book a bike place to see it it helps.

The coach is £14 quid with a guarantee of the bike being taken in the furniture vans they are laying on. Gives an opportunity for a well-earned beer or 3 before the 1pm departure :angry:

I'll see how my legs feel (make sure they are still attached to my body) but could be tempted to ride back if loads of others are doing it. Might need a couple of Redbulls first mind you...

redjedi

Über Member
Davywalnuts said:
Oh god Redjedi! Look! Your post was number 666 and you was tempting a mass cycle!! the devil is alive and well i tell thee!

:angry:

Does that mean my soul now belongs to the Demon of the Roads :angry:

(or Martin as he likes to be called )

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I was visualising a kind off "Ghost Rider" scene with vengance upon white van men and female MPV drivers!

But yes, I think that applies! So, cycling back then? hehehehe!

Tynan

Veteran
There's pubs In Dunwich?

I remember only a cafe and the tide being well out

Can anyone planning a sociable ride back to London pencil me in very lightly indeed

Tynan

Veteran
right, in a fit of unusual forward planning triggered by a clash with the kids end of year stage school gala I'm all booked, I have to be in Dartford on either the Sat or Sun, washed and presentable for a 2.30 ko to late

So I'm gunning for the Sun, to have barely enough time to get home and wash and change and go again I have to be on the 9.42 from Ipswich, so I've booked man and bike onto that for £16

I haven't really done the sums yet, that's the latest train I could catch that gave me any sort of chance

2 hour ride to Ipswich means leaving Dunwich at erm ... 7.30

an hour stop at the Church Hall and a 9pm start leaves me all of 10.5 hours of ride time, less queue for breakfast and eat breakfast, 9 hours

9 hours to do 120 odd miles, av speed of erm ... 13.5mph

hmm, suspect I'm leaving Hackney rather early doors, leave at 8 gives me 10hours to ride at 12mph, with the queue and eat breakfast being the fu time

looks good on paper, i can;t remeber my av speed last year although I was surprised at how long it took, there was a fair amount of standing at junctions arguing about turnings and routes

Will, I've penciled you in for a brisk time with no sleepy times at the Village Hall

and unpencil me in for the return leg, tsk

Tynan

Veteran
hah, how long did that plan last?

I do have time to do the Gala on the Sat and then scuttle to Hackney for a pint and a natter and then a leisurely ride with breakfast and stops

and then go home and rest

sooo, pencil me in lightly again for the return leg please and anyone that's interested in a £16 ticket with cycle space on the 9.42 from Ipswich, holler

Top Bottom