Dusted off the Road Bike !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zipp2001

Veteran
The last couple of days the temps have been in the mid to upper 30 degree range. I spend my winter on my trail bikes and stay away from the road, because of all the salt and sand they use. But the itch to get on the road bike is strong and seeing that it wasn't to cold it was off for some winter fun. The bike was a sandy salty mess but man was it worth the clean-up time just to be back on the road. So looking forward to winter ending so the road bike can see more action. But I know how it rolls here and we have had storms drop several feet of snow in April. So winter ain't over yet, just need to squeeze in a road bike ride when I can.
Back on The Road ! - YouTube

cyclintom

Salt and sand is especially hard on the brakes so you might want to order new pads and disks to replace come summer.

Cymro74

Summer bike (12 year old Giant defy) had first outing yesterday. However they have started salting roads again so it needed a good clean and won't be coming out for a few more weeks. I've been using my old hybrid since November for daily rides, and it has coped well.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
The last couple of days the temps have been in the mid to upper 30 degree range. I spend my winter on my trail bikes and stay away from the road, because of all the salt and sand they use. But the itch to get on the road bike is strong and seeing that it wasn't to cold it was off for some winter fun. The bike was a sandy salty mess but man was it worth the clean-up time just to be back on the road. So looking forward to winter ending so the road bike can see more action. But I know how it rolls here and we have had storms drop several feet of snow in April. So winter ain't over yet, just need to squeeze in a road bike ride when I can.
Back on The Road ! - YouTube

Rookie mistake - clean the bike before it goes into winter hibernation - a winter of salt won't have done it any good!

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
Rookie mistake - clean the bike before it goes into winter hibernation - a winter of salt won't have done it any good!

The bike is always cleaned when going into hibernation, and cleaned after every ride if I ride the roads during winter. Now the trail bikes are another story, chains and drivetrain always clean but the rest.

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
Hey good for you! Back on the old girl! Or boy 😳. I'm presently injured so enjoy!

Hope it's not a bad injury.

Cycling_Samurai

Hope it's not a bad injury.
Fortunately not major. I think I tore a calf muscle or strained it. Body is aching from my second COVID vaccination. Taking the day off to rest. It's cold and wet out anyway.

Upside is that I my bike is adjusted and I flipped the stem. Should be functioning almost perfectly. As I put lube on the chain and cogs yesterday evening whilst on the stand, I was beginning to think that perhaps the cogs aren't aligned properly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
Fortunately not major. I think I tore a calf muscle or strained it. Body is aching from my second COVID vaccination. Taking the day off to rest. It's cold and wet out anyway.

Upside is that I my bike is adjusted and I flipped the stem. Should be functioning almost perfectly. As I put lube on the chain and cogs yesterday evening whilst on the stand, I was beginning to think that perhaps the cogs aren't aligned properly.

Well that's turning a negative into a positive :bicycle:

Top Bottom