dutch floating roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

hovenring2.jpg

the only problem with the design is the fact they've missed a trick and not doubled it up a giant sundial.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
the only problem with the design is the fact they've missed a trick and not doubled it up a giant sundial.
I wonder how sundials deal with the clocks going forwards in the spring and back in the autumn ...? :whistle:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
This short vid by a guy living in The Netherlands, on the problems encountered by cyclists and pedestrians in London is worth looking at. It seems crazy that we give over so much of our urban space to motorised traffic, even down to all the masses of signs for drivers that block pavements.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
am I missing something but haven't places all over Britain already got hundreds of flyovers for cyclist and pedestrians to cross busy roads, they may not be a pretty but I know Peterborough has plenty...
In that case, can we have some in Shrewsbury please? I can think of 5 dual carriageway junctions within a 5 mile radius that would benefit.:thumbsup:

I think it makes perfect sense to keep fast-moving traffic and slow-moving cyclists apart. The problem is if that forces much faster cyclists and much slower cyclists together.

On the rare occasions that I used to commute by bike, I tried to average 20 mph. It was a 30 mile round trip so it used to take me about 1.5 hours a day. If I'd had to use cyclepaths where people were pottering about at (say) 7 mph, it would have taken me a very off-putting 4.3 hours!
Which is fine Colin, except I would think there isn't a city in the world where you could do that, not even in the Netherlands. You remember how we told you about our tour of the Netherlands [and yes it was raining in Groningen, and yes I would still happily live there] and you know that dr_pink and I are not the slowest of cyclists and yet even when we were belting along we were never slowed down by slower cyclists because the cycle paths are so wide.
We are both love the open road and in the Netherlands there was plenty of those where the space was shared with the traffic, the big difference was that you never felt under any threat. There is no doubt in my mind that there is a lot of militancy among cyclists in this country who do not like to be told what to do, I think it is a very British thing, if we didn't think of it first it can't be any good.
The Dutch system works, cycling through towns and cities over there was a pleasure, not once in 1100km of riding did we think "what a prat", or "phew, that was close". The reason you don't get close passes is a chicken and egg thing, the Dutch have designed a system that allows freedom of choice as to the method of transport you wish to use, the fact that so many choose a bike is testament to the planning, design and law that positively encourages human powered mobility. Secondly, because everyone rides a bike at some time so the person in the car is also a cyclist and therefore has immediate empathy with the person on the bike, that is one of the biggest problems we have in this country, so few motorists have ever ridden a bike since they were children, and many not even then.
How do we make it safer to ride over here? There is no way this [or any] government is going to pour billions into transforming the UK into another Netherlands, but what they could do, but won't for fear of losing the car lobby vote, is to change the law, a simple couple of things like giving way to bikes at all junctions and making the penalties for colliding with a cyclist severe. Of course, before these laws could be passed cyclists themselves would have to put their own house in order, especially in the cities where vehicles and bikes mix together like oil and water.
The government has never seemed to give a toss about the loss of life on our roads whether it be motorists, cyclists or pedestrians, but it is getting to the point now where everyone seems to know someone who has been killed or seriously injured in a road traffic accident. It shouldn't be acceptable, when we visit our Dutch friends in Nijmegen it's a breath of fresh air, when they come over here we feel slightly ashamed.
We sit and fiddle while Rome is burning, sticking plaster and compromise, prevarication and excuses, I for one am sick of it but feel helpless,
Well, that was a rant and a half, I'll feel better after a ride tomorrow but my views won't have changed.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Claud, your the first cyclist that I have come across who does not advocate cycle paths. We have lots in Denmark and I love them. If I lived in London I think I would be pleased to have them as well.

image_zpsb0f81978.jpg
I've got nothing against cycle paths, but that one does look rather narrow. In London there'd be a queue each way of cyclists desperate to overtake. And given the volume of traffic on the road, I do wonder why they bothered.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You could probably get 5 bikes side by side on that cycle path ^_^

The reason they bothered is that they have to. I am not sure what the criterium is for putting down cycle paths in Denmark but we certainly have a lot of them. They are well planned and put in the right places.

But even when there is no cycle paths the traffic gives us lots of space,

Totallyfixed. I dont know if you have ridden in Denmark but everything you described for the Netherlands, also applies to Denmark.

Steve

Last edited:
Top Bottom