Dutch style bike lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keen but clumsy

In Holland everyone has a built in rear wheel lock that is attached to the frame. It doesn't lock the bike to anything but secures the rear wheel to the bike.

When I leave my bike in town I generally take 2 locks - one for the front wheel and one for the rear (with at least one attaching frame to something solid). I've always though that one of these Dutch style locks would be really convenient but I've never seen any in the UK. I've looked on Wiggle and Chain Reaction this evening and nothing.

Any ideas why these are not popular in the UK and where I might be able to get one?

Cheers, KbC

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I had a very old Raleigh 3 speed (1960s probably) that had a key lock on steerer at the fork crown. Was fun to try and ride without steering.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I have one on my 'ladies bike' bought it on Ebay
It's not a very secure lock, so wouldn't recomend it as your only form of security, but if just nipping into the local shop or at the park with the kids it fine

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I did see a you tube clip demonstrating how easily the lock can be forced with a fake key... how old it was i don't know but the manufacturer may have addressed that issue in the mean time.

They do look ok though just for a quick pop in the shop as i'm sure I could catch a thief carrying a bike easier than one riding one.

snailracer

Über Member
I believe they are called "nurses' locks" or "frame locks" and were quite common on bikes from days-long-past.

I bought one from Decathlon - problem was, there were no suitable mounting holes on my bike that matched those on the lock, so watch out for that gotcha.

tyred

Legendary Member
Just pop a padlock through the chainwheel. Cheap, quick and easy and will prevent the bike from being ridden away.

Still used widely in Holland.

I'm actually now thinking one might be a good idea on the commuter. Lock throught the back wheel, with the optional cable to secure the seat (and possibly as a 2nd lock around bikestand) then the D-lock through front wheel and frame and bikestand. Hmmm.

OP
OP
K

Keen but clumsy

Thanks for the info all. I did wonder if you needed a special point to attach them too. Still undecided but I might give it a go.

KbC

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Thanks for the info all. I did wonder if you needed a special point to attach them too. Still undecided but I might give it a go.

KbC

Mine is attached with cable ties!
There are holes on the lock for your to screw it to the frame, but they didn't quite match up the mounts on the frame so I just used the ties, cut them off very short & you can hardly see them, once the lock is in place & the key removed it is locked tight regardless of what is holding it to the frame, so even if you cut the ties you still couldn't take the lock off

Top Bottom