Dynamo powered lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm considering switching the commuter to dynamo for the winter, bloody expensive though.

Hubs should last a long time (my last one - a Shimano DH-380- did about 25,000 miles before it developed a bit of play in the bearings), I've had my front light, a B&M IQ Cyo since 2009 and it still works fine. Total cost in 2009 was about £180 including wheelbuilding labour cost. I also had the wheel rebuilt with a new rim at some point but that would have been the case with a regular hub too.

Both light and hubs used in all weather, actually especially in bad weather as I tended to use other bikes if it was dry and sunny.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The basic Shimano dynamo on my Rose worked well, although the mini plug connector was a bit of a fiddle and is a minor extra niggle in the event of a puncture.

It also needed rewiring a couple of times.

No usb socket on mine, but the impression I have is running the lights and charging a gadget is too much for even the expensive dynamos which are wired for usb.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yep. No more flat batteries or wondering how long you have till they burn out. No more recharging batteries. No more having to turn them on and off. No more dying micro switches rendering the light useless (my biggest pet hate).
On my 2 dynamo equipped bicycles, I like the fact they are ready to roll in all circumstances without worrying about whether it’ll get dark etc. I leave them running during the day too. Every little less faff helps :-)

toffee

Guru
I won't bother fitting the new dynamo hub wheel have built for Mrs T's bike or the 2 new sets of dynamo lights that I have just bought for our tourers.

Given the improved state of rechargeable battery technology you need to do a LOT of night riding and/or be away from mains electricity for days at a time to justify a dynohub on financial grounds.

This is what I am starting to think actually, though not on financial grounds - to avoid fag. For extended touring I may just get another high capacity powerbank. Charging stuff, as opposed to powering a light, seems to be a tad complex from a dynamo. After all, touring, you aren't going to be riding much in the dark anyway - not unless something has gone seriously wrong.

Personally I haven’t found a battery powered light that has as good a beam (both output and beam definition) as the dynamo powered ones.
Maybe not, but i think battery ones are "good enough" but could and doubtless will improve. Praps with products from the dynamo lighting people. Have done satisfactory dynamos on both my hope vision 1 and a £6 job from Lidl. Would maybe go dynamo if i did lots and lots of night riding.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Maybe not, but i think battery ones are "good enough". Would maybe go dynamo if i did lots and lots of night riding.
To my mind, the main point of dynamo lighting is that it's always there, and always works.
I don't have to remember batteries, or remember to take the lights off when I park the bike somewhere, or decide how likely it is to be dark when I get home.

It gets dark (ish); the lights turn on, without any intervention on my part.

Top Bottom