Dynamo rear light or battery?

Dynamo rear light or battery?

• Dynamo rear light

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Battery rear light

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Hi, have decided to get a Schmidt dynamo fitted to my new Cheviot SE tourer, probably with a B & M Lumotec IQ Cyo N Plus front light, but can't decide whether to go the whole hog and get a dynamo-powered LED rear light (with standlight) fitted, e.g. the B & M D Toplight Plus, or to get a good battery-powered LED light, like the Cateye TL-LD1100. Ideally would want to mount the light at the back of the rear carrier, if it makes any difference.

What does everyone think would be the best option and why? Thanks!

willem

Über Member
I have a rear light connected to the SON, for the simple reason that it is one thing less to worry about. My experience with battery taillights is not that good: the switches and connections often fail in humid conditions. The sensor swtiches also get stuck sometimes. The generator taillights turn on automatically when the front lights switches on as well. Easy in a tunnel, or under dark trees. I have a seculight on the mudguard, and for extra safety a battery Toplight with big reflector on the carrier.
Willem

andym

Über Member
Sorry I don't want to sound grumpy, but can you add a 'whatever happened to independent thinking?' option to the poll?

asterix

Comrade Member
Why not have both? I have a Schmidt to fit to my bike and bought a 'guard mounted rear light for it. I don't see the point of producing juice that is over sufficient for just a front light when I can use it for the rear light too. OTOH, it's good to have plenty of illumination at the back so I will also have a decent LED as well. After all unlike at the front, you can't see if the rear bulb goes.

If anyone can suggest smart ways of leading the cables I'd like to hear them.

I'd not want to have wires going along my top tube, but you might be able to get your bike with concealed wiring.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
Currently there's 9 votes for "battery rear-light|, but only 3 for "dynamo rear light", however apart from Chris667's comment about not wanting wires along the top tube (for aesthetic reasons?) all the forum comments have been in favour of a dynamo rear light - I'd be interested to hear the reasoning for those voting for a battery rear light...

lazyfatgit

I'm about to replace a cateye rear with an erratic switch with a dynamo rear as i've gotten so used to the convenience and reliability of the lumotec on the front.

I also double up with battery lights front and rear.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
I've decided to back the IQ Cyo dynamo front light with a carrier-mounted, dynamo powered Busch & Muller DToplight XS Plus in the end. However, I will back this up with a battery powered 1/2 watt BSpoke seat-post mounted LED rear light I already have...

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I ride a SON20 with a B&M Cyo (60) front, paired with a B&M Dtoplight+ rear. Standlight is essential for me, as commute involves much bumpy bits and stop lights.

I paired the Cyo with a Cateye battery rear for the first few weeks (I had to get around to putting the rear rack back on before I could hook in the Dtoplight). Paranoid about the front LED running hot, I was glad to put the Dtoplight in place last week.

I've left the Cateye in place as it works as a reflector too. Standing behind, I'd say they put out about the same amount of light with fresh batteries, but repeat the test after 6 hours, and the Dtoplight is well ahead.

Lovely to know the bike is always ready to go. Now, if only I can find a self oiling chain.

yello

oxford_guy said:
However, I will back this up with a battery powered
<snip>

Wise move really. It makes sense to go for the option 3 of 'both'.

I don't have a dynamo rear for the aesthetic (wires) reason - which I fully admit is silly! - but I do have 2 rear LED lights.

Threelionsbrian

arallsopp said:
I ride a SON20 with a B&M Cyo (60) front, paired with a B&M Dtoplight+ rear. Standlight is essential for me, as commute involves much bumpy bits and stop lights.

I paired the Cyo with a Cateye battery rear for the first few weeks (I had to get around to putting the rear rack back on before I could hook in the Dtoplight). Paranoid about the front LED running hot, I was glad to put the Dtoplight in place last week.

I've left the Cateye in place as it works as a reflector too. Standing behind, I'd say they put out about the same amount of light with fresh batteries, but repeat the test after 6 hours, and the Dtoplight is well ahead.

Lovely to know the bike is always ready to go. Now, if only I can find a self oiling chain.

Can't shut mine off on cnstantly? i've got the xs plus

Top Bottom