E Bike capable tow bar bike rack.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
As per title, I was looking for a bit of advice on what works and what doesn't. I have seen one that has a ramp that would allow Mrs Slick to load it herself as it's too heavy otherwise. I would be doing most of the lifting so not too sure if that's a necessity or not. As usual any advice would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
What weight is the bike? Most Thule racks have a decent weight limit - and are capable of taking an e-bike. Thule aren’t cheap but, quality wise, they’re hard to beat.
I'm not exactly sure of the weight but I know it's too much for the my usual rack. I kinda thought Thule, but your not kidding about the price. They look perfect and hopefully I'll be able to get a deal somewhere.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If carrying two bikes it is advisable to mount the heaviest bike inboard.

I've seen two-bike racks with weight limits of 40kg or more, which is plenty for an ebike and a push bike, but could be a bit tight for two ebikes.

The ebike, with battery removed, will weigh 20kg or maybe a kilo or two less.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
What weight is the bike? Most Thule racks have a decent weight limit - and are capable of taking an e-bike. Thule aren’t cheap but, quality wise, they’re hard to beat.
I got the compact one for 3 bikes for £80 less than the advertised price on that link. Thanks for the comparison though.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
You should remove the battery when carrying, which should make lifting a bit easier, but remember to cover the battery terminals to protect from water and dirt ingress.
Is your frame carbon is the other concern with bike racks? Most carbon bike manufacturers recommend against frame clamping, see link.
https://auxtail.com/about/carbon-clamping/
Didn't really consider that to be honest, the ebike isn't carbon but one of mine is. The ebike is clamped with another steel Thule frame clamp anyway, but mine are all full framed road bikes.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
If carrying two bikes it is advisable to mount the heaviest bike inboard.

I've seen two-bike racks with weight limits of 40kg or more, which is plenty for an ebike and a push bike, but could be a bit tight for two ebikes.

The ebike, with battery removed, will weigh 20kg or maybe a kilo or two less.
That sounds about right to me. The one I got has a limit of 60kg but an individual weight limit of 25kg which should be plenty for what we need.

Top Bottom