e-bike conversion questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
Hi I am toying with the idea of converting my Pinnacle Arkose 2 gravel bike to an e-bike. I only use it on the road. I am considering the Yose Power rear wheel coversion kit (250W to keep it legal). the bike will only be used as a run around.

I can work on bikes, and I am a capable cyclist.

I have a couple of questions.

1. The bike is an alloy frame with QR wheels. The motor hub wheel is a threaded axle and the wheel is bolted on. Is this an issue for an alloy frame with QR dropouts? Will the bolts fit between any laywer lips?

2. I assume a 10 speed cassette will work with the hub kit?

3. Is a torque arm required?

4. My bottom bracket is hollowtech, so I know I need a differed PAS sensor.

5. Can I do away with brake sensors? I can not fit these onto Shimano STI levers.

If I go ahead with the conversion, i will post a few photos and thoughts on it.

Thanks

CXRAndy

Guru
Have you thought of a crank based motor like TSDZ2 or Bafang BBS01/02? Both can be bought in 250W version. You get far more torque from a crank motor.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Yose kits are good value. Chances are it will come with a throttle which if operates above 6kmh is not legal. It will work without it though.

1. Yose kit fitted my QR drop outs ok but not perfect.

2. You haven't told us if the kit has s freewheel or a free hub. If it's the former then no.

3. A what? Doubt it as both kits IV fitted didn't have one.

4. What's the question?

5. It will work without them. These budget kits take s second or two for the motor to cut out when you stop peddling but with the brake switch levers fitted it can cut out instantly. So if a child walked out in front of you and the motor was counteracting your brakes for 1-2 seconds and you hit them then your more likely to end up in court if you "do away" with them.

Another option is to fit some steel disc forks to the bike and fit a front hub motor. So you don't have to touch your gearing at all.

It is fully legal to have a throttle as long as it only operates while you pedal but no one cares anyway. It was fully legal to have a ebike with a throttle (twist and go) up to 2016 and even now you can buy ebikes that have twist and go throttles that have been individually tested and approved and those can be ridden without insurance, number plates etc. Ebike law is messy to say the least with many ebikes being openly sold using Bosch motors that can peak at almost 800W well outside the 250W rule. It should be pointed out ebike kits are not part of the legislation they are just allowed, the legislation was always about complete ebikes anyway. The only thing that anyone seems to care about is the 15.5mph assistance rule, go faster than about 17mph assisted (there is a small tolerance above 15.5mph) and you are in illegal territory for sure. If you wanted a motor system that just operated on throttle only just for the hills etc then I can't see the problem in real terms. Many elderly or disabled people need twist and go type ebikes to allow them to cycle hence the DVSA approval system for twist and go ebikes. It's also safer to have complete control of power in urban situations. Cadence sensors can be unsafe as power can kick in, in quite a crude way at the wrong time which can be awkward in urban traffic. A cadence sensor is no substitute for a torque sensor or throttle control. Anyway the point is an ebike kit is already in a grey area of legality.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/wisper-announce-dvsa-approved-full-throttle-models/

Also if your Pinnacle has mechanical disc brakes you can have inline brake sensors to work with the brake motor cut-off.

maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom