e-petitions worth anything?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I just stumbled upon HM Government e-petitions site and noted among some cycling lane/training/insurance/helmet compulsion petitions few that seem worthwhile, for example Safeguarding Cyclists (strict liability) and Vary fines by offenders' ability to pay

Are these, or other, e-petitions something to campaign support for, or are e-petitions not worth the bits they consume?

The strict liability one almost has a bit of sense until you read:

In the spirit of equality, the Government ought also to impose higher penalties for cyclists who flout road laws.

I think things are already pretty "equal". Fines can be up to several thousand pounds and cyclists can end up in prison (In fact cyclists that have done wrong, even killed HAVE ended up a prison).

EDIT: I'm going to set one up called "Make cycle lanes work!" ;)

OP
OP
T

Tommi

The strict liability one almost has a bit of sense until you read:
I'm interpreting the intention as that you gather as much support as you can behind a general topic (how many death penalty duplicates are there again?) and then if it actually does get up for debate you push the point the petitions are a shopping list of some random points with singular common theme and as such must be debated independently. It should be obvious to anyone deciding which petitions to debate, but I might be too optimistic...

EDIT: I'm going to set one up called "Make cycle lanes work!" ;)
I'm not convinced cycle lanes can ever work, but admittedly I've only experienced the UK farcilities.

mangaman

Basically though - e-petitions are meaningless.

The Coalition trumpet them as better than the e-petitions Labour ran - but they have no constitutional validity whatsoever and are a pointless workover of the pre-existing Government e-petition site.

Richard Mann

I'm not convinced cycle lanes can ever work, but admittedly I've only experienced the UK farcilities.

They work pretty well in Oxford - but that's because they've been done as part of narrowing/slowing roads. Narrow cycle lanes plus wide (>3m) or multiple traffic lanes aren't so good.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I'm interpreting the intention as that you gather as much support as you can behind a general topic (how many death penalty duplicates are there again?) and then if it actually does get up for debate you push the point the petitions are a shopping list of some random points with singular common theme and as such must be debated independently. It should be obvious to anyone deciding which petitions to debate, but I might be too optimistic...

The best petitions are the ones that are simple and uncluttered (unlike UK cycle lanes, oddly, LOL). Cycle facilities can work, they've been proving that for a number of years abroad. We're just slow to catch up.

Basically though - e-petitions are meaningless.

The Coalition trumpet them as better than the e-petitions Labour ran - but they have no constitutional validity whatsoever and are a pointless workover of the pre-existing Government e-petition site.

They may not be as weedy as they once were. A few MPs had been talking of giving them more power so there is an obligation to debate the popular ones in Parliament. Several of the previous ones had been looked at seriously (sex offender related issues, prison reform, and saving the NHS money) though mostly inter-departmental stuff.

If there's anything of use in this blog post, then please feel free to copy and use it.

Read that a little while back. The issues have been in the back of my mind for sometime now. I've put the epet in, lets see if they run it.

Top Bottom