E Scooters > on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Quite a few round here. Mostly young men using them it seems. One zipped past on the pavement as I was pulling out of my drive last night. They mostly use the pavement, occasionally the road. I think it will become an increasing problem as they become cheaper.

vickster

Legendary Member
The commuters (older guys) seem to use the roads around here, yoofs and kids the pavement

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Scooters and electric bikes are a problem on our static camp site. Quite a few new van owners that have ignored the fact that they are banned on site (accident liability)

There is also a family with those big electric MTB's that do about 60 mph - lots of complaints, including official letters, but the 'dad' is a bit of a gangster and has threttened the owners and his neighbours on site.

Scooters and electric bikes are a problem on our static camp site. Quite a few new van owners that have ignored the fact that they are banned on site (accident liability)
One shouldn't ignore communal rules, but surely this is better than residents making needless trips round site by car? (or powered vehicles larger/heavier than a scooter).

Seems like the ideal context for these devices.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One shouldn't ignore communal rules, but surely this is better than residents making needless trips round site by car? (or powered vehicles larger/heavier than a scooter).

They are ridden by kids, rather quickly. No major bother to me but when someone is dicking about not paying attention and they nearly take you off your very expensive and rare road bike...

PK99

Legendary Member

Back in the day when we used to camp. The car did not move unless we were going off-site. We used to do that strange historical thing - we walked

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
No, but I don't think you are supposed to ride them on pavements are you? Who knows. Doesn't bother me and actually looks good fun.

I think you should be concerned about them on pavements. Coming back from the local cash machine last week, guy on an escooter on the pavement didn't bother slowing down or dismounting as he approached me, and the pavement reaches a bus stop, so it narrows to about 1m. His attitude was very much 'out of my way' so I had to literally jump off the kerb into the bus stop. On another occasion, I got called a c*** for standing my ground as one hurtled towards me on another pavement.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Back in the day when we used to camp. The car did not move unless we were going off-site. We used to do that strange historical thing - we walked
I was just thinking the same. If you need to use an escooter to cross a campsite that's just really being lazy. Are you really incapable of walking a few hundred yards?. Campsites aren't the size of Texas:okay:.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think you should be concerned about them on pavements. Coming back from the local cash machine last week, guy on an escooter on the pavement didn't bother slowing down or dismounting as he approached me, and the pavement reaches a bus stop, so it narrows to about 1m. His attitude was very much 'out of my way' so I had to literally jump off the kerb into the bus stop. On another occasion, I got called a c*** for standing my ground as one hurtled towards me on another pavement.
You should have stuck your arm and hand out for the bus you thought was approaching ;)
Oopsy didn't expect you on the pavement as it's illegal :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member

I would agree if there was not the safety issue, and the antisocial behaviour issue. The great British public have proven they cant be trusted - if they could, then I'd be right behind it...

It really gets to something when the aberage car driver is better behaved than another class of road user.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
report on the radio today about the general condition of hire scooters having badly worn tyres etc , if the companies are charging to use unsafe ones then what hope have we the private ones are kept in better condition ?

Top Bottom