E Scooters > on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Scooter rider seriously injured in a collision with a car yesterday in Northampton. One if the legal trial escooters.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
This subject has probably done the rounds already and opologise if I'm reviving up an old subject.
As i don't live in a large city, but more of a rural location, trends seem to happen alot later around here.
I've noticed recently that there seems to be a big explosion in E scooter use in my local town. I thought this was great to begin with as the ones i saw were being used sensibly by older adults at a sensible speed. There not the hire ones (as we don't have them here) but i have no issues seeing people going about their daily business on them whilst being responsible. Even the police have turned a blind eye to them at the moment. Let's be honest it can only amount up to less cars jamming up the roads if people choose to commute into work by E scooters and bikes. A win win situation so it seems.
Sadly though its not the case. Amongst the sensible users (even though there technically breaking the law using there own) there's now been a big craze in the youngsters getting there hands on them, and shall we say showing off in front of there friends as to how fast they will go. Some of these kids are 10/12 years old, but they were hurting down the congested high street this weekend doing well over 20/25 mph playing dodgems between the traffic. Some of these kids could barely see over the tops of the handlebars. More concerning was the games they were playing in the narrow pedestrianised streets, thinking it a game see how good there skills were at dodging between the shoppers.
Seeing what i saw this weekend it's only going to be a matter of time before someone gets hurt, as these youngsters get to over confident with their skills.
The police will no doubt clamp down on the sensible users and sadly e scooters be a victim of their own success until legal hired ones come to my area

alex_cycles

Veteran
I personally like the idea of e-scooters, in theory. But as they are an entirely new class of motorised vehicle they need entirely new way of thinking and some infrastructure/rules/regulation etc. What I object to is not the scooters themselves, it's children (and adults, for that matter) being encouraged to break the law and face no consequences.
I can't see that ending well at all.

While they're building the infrastructure for e-scooters, we could do with some new infrastructure for cycling too. :rolleyes:

johnnyb47

Guru
I've never really thought of it like that @Andy_R , but it's a good point

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's doubtless irritating, and someone might get injured, but a tonne+ of motorised metal is still a far greater danger to everyone.

midlife

Guru
Nope. Actually, haven't watched the tele for about 15 years now :laugh:

Thanks, just curious :smile: I worked in Bristol Casualty Department back in the 80's and the head nurse was Peter Salt. He is/was one of the medical advisors on BBC series "Casualty". The TV series is nothing like when I worked there, or indeed like an A & E department today....

Top Bottom