E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It doesn't say if they're going to prosecute him - for driving without insurance or whatever the appropriate thing is. Which presumably would affect his car insurance premiums if he has them.

I wonder if kicking up a stink and running to the papers will do him any favours in that regard?

Drago

Legendary Member
They'll have reported him to court.

You can bet the police spokesperson watched the BWV before making their statement to the media. Mum needs to be careful about who she talks to if she is making false allegations of being pushed out the way (although Sec 117 of PACE does give officers tophe powers to use force when exercising their rights under any other section of PACE anyway) because making a false report is itself a crime.

They're just gobbing off and a gullible chiprwapper with no news to report are trying to make capital from it. Its L.O.B.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
A bit more schadenfreude:
police seize escooter
Basically he chanced it and lost. Not much sympathy here.

I do find it hard to understand why someone would pay £3500 for a vehicle that isn't legal on the roads. The risks of having it nicked (no insurance claim), hurting yourself or others in a crash (no insurance cover) or simply getting it crushed by the Police; that's a huge outlay. Especially when he could have done a CBT, bought a scooter and insurance and all for under £1500

Drago

Legendary Member
I had loads of complaints over the years, not one stuck.

Most were simply people that doesn't understand the the game is played, like the, "you need a warrant to do that" in the story here. No we don't.

A few were malicious.

One malicious complaint was very serious and I could have gone to prison. Unfortunately for the complainant, although the rota showed me as due on duty I was actually off work sick with a bad dose of vertigo on the day of the allegation. Not only that, but at the exact time of the claimed behaviour I was in consultation with my GP.

So, I knew I was well in the clear, but kept it quiet I was suspended from work and thoroughly enjoyed almost 3 months off work on full pay before Professional Standards called me in for an interview. Only then did I point out I was not on duty that day.

"Why didn't you tell us?" they cried.

"Why didn't you ask?" was my very obvious reply.

I in turn made a complaint about the poor investigative skills of the PSD OIC and I received a letter of apology from their Supernintendo. I could have taken it further, but left it at that - I knew from day one I was in the clear and wasn't stressed or anything, and I'd actually enjoyed playing them for the idiots they were (as did my Fed funded solicitor.)

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
They'll have reported him to court.

You can bet the police spokesperson watched the BWV before making their statement to the media. Mum needs to be careful about who she talks to if she is making false allegations of being pushed out the way (although Sec 117 of PACE does give officers tophe powers to use force when exercising their rights under any other section of PACE anyway) because making a false report is itself a crime.

They're just gobbing off and a gullible chiprwapper with no news to report are trying to make capital from it. Its L.O.B.
It's what Kye said they did, not his mum to be fair to her.

They might become legal, but there's a whole load of stuff that will be required*, before he'd be allowed to take to the roads legally.

*There's a longer list of requirements than currently used for the trial scooters.

vickster

Legendary Member
I do find it hard to understand why someone would pay £3500 for a vehicle that isn't legal on the roads. The risks of having it nicked (no insurance claim), hurting yourself or others in a crash (no insurance cover) or simply getting it crushed by the Police; that's a huge outlay. Especially when he could have done a CBT, bought a scooter and insurance and all for under £1500

Because they think they’re cool and don’t give a crap about the legalities

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's more interesting that the piece claims the dibble returned one to him on an earlier occasion, although this is local chipwrapper reporting. It does seem unlikely that the police would risk themselves being themselves prosecuted for use, cause or permit offences if Johnny Scumbag went straight out for a ride on it.
This might be what's in play here: Avon & Somerset police explained they had a policy of stopping illegally-ridden e-scooters and giving riders a first warning, and if stopped twice, their machines would be confiscated.

Maybe they just didn't seize it on the first occasion, and that's got translated into "returned it to him".

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I would love a e scooter, but what I can't understand when I see adults riding one if caught they can get £300 fine and six points on the licence, yeah I know “if caught” but is it really worth it.
Knowing my luck I'd get caught on the first day out, don't these people really care ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
With regards to the chappie who had the scooter seized it would be interesting to know if he had enough points on his driving licence so he had the alternative of a bicycle or an scooter .

Tenkaykev

Guru
With regards to the chappie who had the scooter seized it would be interesting to know if he had enough points on his driving licence so he had the alternative of a bicycle or an scooter .

We live in a trial area and have electric scooters and also both regular and electric versions of Beryl Bikes. There's a chap who lives around the corner who commutes to work on a hire scooter, I know they offer " bundles " for journeys, and a weekly/ monthly hire option. I copied this from the information page:

In the UK, e-scooters are currently classified as Personal Light Electric Vehicles and are treated as motor vehicles. To hire a Beryl e-Scooter you must have a valid driving licence.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
We live in a trial area and have electric scooters and also both regular and electric versions of Beryl Bikes. There's a chap who lives around the corner who commutes to work on a hire scooter, I know they offer " bundles " for journeys, and a weekly/ monthly hire option. I copied this from the information page:

In the UK, e-scooters are currently classified as Personal Light Electric Vehicles and are treated as motor vehicles. To hire a Beryl e-Scooter you must have a valid driving licence.

indeed , although i was thinking about the bloke who spends £3500 as his other choice is a bike , given as you say they need a valid licence to hire one it begs the question does he have one .

Drago

Legendary Member
Translation: you're supposed to tick a box to say you have a valid licence, we don't actually check. Oh, and you can lie about your age too.

I'm surprised there scooter hire firms get away with such a lax attitude to their checks. If I lent you my car and I simply took your word thwt you were licenced in insured that wouldn't protect me in Court from a use, cause or permit charges so I'm not sure how these hire firms arent held similarly to account.

Top Bottom