E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
200g of phone : not as 'full of rare earths' as a hover board, escooter or ebike. And evs are on another level entirely.

The environmental impact of each application varies mahoosively ; using a phone is hardly comparable to other things.
A new clean battery chemistry is desperately needed for the car industry but will benefit many applications.

That's a guess isn't it .

vickster

Legendary Member
200g of phone : not as 'full of rare earths' as a hover board, escooter or ebike. And evs are on another level entirely.

The environmental impact of each application varies mahoosively ; using a phone is hardly comparable to other things.
A new clean battery chemistry is desperately needed for the car industry but will benefit many applications.

Apparently... A typical EV battery has about 8 kilograms of lithium, 14 kilograms of cobalt, and 20 kilograms of manganese, although this can often be much more depending on the battery size – a Tesla Model S' battery, for example, contains around 62.6 kg (138 pounds) of lithium.
https://blog.evbox.com/uk-en/ev-bat...ypical EV battery has,(138 pounds) of lithium.

D

Deleted member 26715

How many EV's are there? How many phones are there, it you totalled the 200g of each phone how would that compare with the total Xg in EV's?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
How many EV's are there? How many phones are there, it you totalled the 200g of each phone how would that compare with the total Xg in EV's?

From a random search of unreliable websites I learn that there are between 3 and 8g of lithium in a smartphone battery. I also found another unrelated site that said 8g of cobalt / iphone.
Apparently... A typical EV battery has about 8 kilograms of lithium, 14 kilograms of cobalt,

So that means around 1,000 - 2,600 phones worth of lithium, or about 1,750 iphones worth of cobalt in a typical EV battery.

So let's guess at around 2,000 phones per car.

vickster

Legendary Member
From a random search of unreliable websites I learn that there are between 3 and 8g of lithium in a smartphone battery. I also found another unrelated site that said 8g of cobalt / iphone.

So that means around 1,000 - 2,600 phones worth of lithium, or about 1,750 iphones worth of cobalt in a typical EV battery.

So let's guess at around 2,000 phones per car.
And presumably most EV owners have a phone too?

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't over complicate things :laugh:

In the case of Uber EV drivers, at least two :whistle:

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Had a little bit of escooter Schadenfreude on the commute this morning. Stopped at red but teen on escooter (inc earphones in, faffing with phone) just waltzes past me, RLJ, carries on towards Temple Meads. Bloke about my age on hire escooter from opposite side of crossroads did same, RLJ. I caught up with teen at crossing near Temple Meads, furiously pressing buttons on strangely immobile escooter. He gets off, looks under, gets back on, jabs more buttons, looks confused etc.

Methinks it just ran out of charge, so he'd have to manually 'scoot'.....:okay:. Oh dear, some effort required.....

Drago

Legendary Member
It's a motor vehicle. Under government rules they're entitled to keep it until a licenced and insured person comes to collect it, which will be half past never.

It's more interesting that the piece claims the dibble returned one to him on an earlier occasion, although this is local chipwrapper reporting. It does seem unlikely that the police would risk themselves being themselves prosecuted for use, cause or permit offences if Johnny Scumbag went straight out for a ride on it.

This will go to Court and the Court will order the scooter be destroyed, so Johnny Scumbag is going to learn an expensive lesson.

Ah, S17 PACE. Brilliant bit of legislation, the ways and means act. Too many barrack room lawyers get their legal training from US TV shows and think the dibble need a warrant to scratch their own behinds, when in actual fact it is rarely the case. That complaint ain't going anywhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom