E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed, people seem strangely reluctant to hold criminals to account for their own behaviour.

D

Deleted member 26715

Went to the take away the other evening, lad I presume with his build, but as he had the obligatory black balaclava on you couldn't tell, wheelied down the main road through the village on a very loud 'crosser', unregistered, uninsured, no helmet exceeding 30mph (again all presumed), almost lost it at one point & had to swerve to miss oncoming traffic, then shot up into the estate. But I'm sure if he'd have hit the oncoming traffic it would have been their fault not getting out of little Johnny's way.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Indeed, people seem strangely reluctant to hold criminals to account for their own behaviour.

Remember that small time criminal who, in 2011, went by taxi to buy a gun from another criminal?. On the way home, he was shot dead by cops after throwing the gun into a park. Sparked national riots (I was working in the smoke at the time & spent most of that week holed up in Southwark Travelodge, thank God for the pub across the street). People defended him as a 'loving family man'....so was my father, but he never carried a gun.

D

Deleted member 26715

Remember that small time criminal who, in 2011, went by taxi to buy a gun from another criminal?. On the way home, he was shot dead by cops after throwing the gun into a park. Sparked national riots (I was working in the smoke at the time & spent most of that week holed up in Southwark Travelodge, thank God for the pub across the street). People defended him as a 'loving family man'....so was my father, but he never carried a gun.

Yeahbutt he was never going to use it

Reactions: RMR

Ajax Bay

Guru
Wandering way off topic:
The police's job is to uphold the law.
If a young man (assumed) is not armed (had thrown gun away or never was), the police are on dodgy ground (risk undermining law and order values) if they shoot to kill when they cannot reasonably be certain the man is a threat to them or other members of the public. They need to be reasonably sure he is at least armed if not actually pointing a weapon before using lethal force. Maybe @Drago can articulate this better, or disagree in this grey area (which may be NACA territory).
In the land of freedom they do things differently aiui.

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
It comes down to self defence. If the officer reasonably believes either he or someone else (a colleague, the public, etc) are in danger of their lives through the use of deadly forde then they can use such force as je necessary to protect themselves/others. With a dearly ranged weapon the usual response is a deadly ranged weapon of your own. Indeed, the right to life under ECHR gives the bobby a positive duty to do what is reasonably nedessary protect others.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I wouldn't count escooters as 'green':

1. Lithium mined in the Congo, awful conditions.
2. You need to charge them, leccy needs to come from some source.....might not be green.

if i were commuting by train, I'd get myself a classic Brompton :okay: .

Most railway companies, plus tfl have banned E scooters from their trains, trams and buses because of the risk of them bursting into flames. Quite a few have done so already.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Wandering way off topic:
The police's job is to uphold the law.
If a young man (assumed) is not armed (had thrown gun away or never was), the police are on dodgy ground (risk undermining law and order values) if they shoot to kill when they cannot reasonably be certain the man is a threat to them or other members of the public. They need to be reasonably sure he is at least armed if not actually pointing a weapon before using lethal force. Maybe @Drago can articulate this better, or disagree in this grey area (which may be NACA territory).
In the land of freedom they do things differently aiui.

Indeed - anyone remember Stephen Waldorf? Shot multiple times whilst sat in his car. Police's excuse was that he looked like a known armed robber. It wasn't the right guy - but to me it looked very like an attempt at an extra judicial execution. This isn't good even if they had the right guy, but when it's someone wholly innocent it isn't a great image for the police to say the least

Now that said, I'm not going to shed many tears over police shooting armed thugs who are a threat, and am realistic for split second judgements, but they shouldn't shoot someone just because they are a wrong 'un, particularly if it's the wrong one !

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Most railway companies, plus tfl have banned E scooters from their trains, trams and buses because of the risk of them bursting into flames. Quite a few have done so already.

I have done fire warden training & seen controlled lab videoes of burning LI batteries - there's no extinguisher can put them out.
In one case of a burning escooter in Manchester somewhere they apparently chucked it in a canal only to see it burn underwater.... :ohmy:

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed - anyone remember Stephen Waldorf? Shot multiple times whilst sat in his car. Police's excuse was that he looked like a known armed robber. It wasn't the right guy - but to me it looked very like an attempt at an extra judicial execution. This isn't good even if they had the right guy, but when it's someone wholly innocent it isn't a great image for the police to say the least

Now that said, I'm not going to shed many tears over police shooting armed thugs who are a threat, and am realistic for split second judgements, but they shouldn't shoot someone just because they are a wrong 'un, particularly if it's the wrong one !

That was a clutsterfoxtrot of the first water at multiple levels, in no way comparable to anyone legitimately using deadly force to protect themselves or another from genuine death at the hands of thet person.

Had he been armed with a firearm and pointing it at anyone it would have been justified. He wasn't, it was a biblical level clanger, be it deliberate or negligent.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wouldn't count escooters as 'green':

1. Lithium mined in the Congo, awful conditions.
2. You need to charge them, leccy needs to come from some source.....might not be green.

if i were commuting by train, I'd get myself a classic Brompton :okay: .

To split hairs, I think most lithium comes from S. America and Australia. It's cobalt that comes from the Congo under horrible conditions. But I think they are starting to get lithium from the Congo too. I'm not an expert. Anyway ...

It's kind of all relative. If they were being used in place of cars then maybe you could balance the ungreen-ness of the e-scooters against the car use that they were taking off the road.

Sadly they are more likely to be used in place of walking. So yeah. You're right.

Not green.

Slick

Guru
It wasn't my first meeting but I met a middle aged lady on an e scooter yesterday on a cycle path and she was closely followed by who I assumed was her husband on one of those single wheeled contraptions. I've no real issues with them, other than the fact, they were approaching me at some speed uphill and were quite comfortable in the middle of the path, leaving me very little room to avoid them and the thick whins that were trying to reclaim their space. It was no drama, but I don't think they were aware of their speed or position. Looked like a good day out though.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

It wasn't my first meeting but I met a middle aged lady on an e scooter yesterday on a cycle path and she was closely followed by who I assumed was her husband on one of those single wheeled contraptions. I've no real issues with them, other than the fact, they were approaching me at some speed uphill and were quite comfortable in the middle of the path, leaving me very little room to avoid them and the thick whins that were trying to reclaim their space. It was no drama, but I don't think they were aware of their speed or position. Looked like a good day out though.

I passed a bloke on the Railway Path this morning on one of those 'gyro' wheels, seen another (might be same) up & on pavements too.
He was wearing a crash helmet & industrial-strength knee/calf protection that suggests a spill probably really hurts. And what speed do these blasted things do?. I can't help but think about what might happen if he hit a pedestrian not wearing massive protection?.

Top Bottom