E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm pretty sure the vandalism happens when they are not on hire and just parked. Therefore, it would be unfair to bill the last hirer as he or she may have parked it responsibly.
Just report as stolen if it gets chucked in canal!

Twilkes

Guru
I passed (he was going on the opposite direction) one today in Glasgow. He was going pretty fast, but I wondered how such small wheels coped with poor surfaces. A lot of potholes could easily swallow the entire wheel.

I wouldn't want to ride a scooter on any of the roads I ride in Glasgow,parts of it are like the moon, and from my experience of riding a non-e-scooter once a year on MOT day I'm way more stable on a bike! Why stand up when you can sit down?

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Out in Bristol centre this lunchtime, saw an utterly reckless idiot on a souped-up private escooter. We have a rainbow zebra crossing leading into Castle Park, two people were on it when Mr Idiot came shooting through on his escooter, straight over the crossing, not even bothering to slow down, estimated to be doing about 30mph. I loathe these things even more today........

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm all for green transport, but I can't really see the point in rental e-scooters. I'm trying to imagine when and where I would need one in my city. Perhaps if I commuted by train and needed to get from the train station to the office, and back again. But that would require an e-scooter base at each end, and it would have to be quite cheap.

The cost of rental I think is a big factor. If you make it too cheap, young'uns would just hire them for fun and as we have seen, probably ride them irresponsibly. Make them too expensive and no-one would use them. Am I missing something here?

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

I'm all for green transport, but I can't really see the point in rental e-scooters. I'm trying to imagine when and where I would need one in my city. Perhaps if I commuted by train and needed to get from the train station to the office, and back again. But that would require an e-scooter base at each end, and it would have to be quite cheap.

The cost of rental I think is a big factor. If you make it too cheap, young'uns would just hire them for fun and as we have seen, probably ride them irresponsibly. Make them too expensive and no-one would use them. Am I missing something here?

I wouldn't count escooters as 'green':

1. Lithium mined in the Congo, awful conditions.
2. You need to charge them, leccy needs to come from some source.....might not be green.

if i were commuting by train, I'd get myself a classic Brompton :okay: .

classic33

Leg End Member

That's why the legal age limit of 18 was placed on their use for these trial schemes.
Very few clearly under that age seem to have been stopped for using them though.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

like the ones who bought them for the kids , get modified by their little angels who can do no wrong ?

Well, eventually little Johnny will go under the wheels of something big, then it'll be tragic headlines in the local rag. I popped out to the local shop last night for some groceries, kid on private escooter casually weaving left & right as he sped down the main road.....

• Sad
Reactions: C R

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well, eventually little Johnny will go under the wheels of something big, then it'll be tragic headlines in the local rag. I popped out to the local shop last night for some groceries, kid on private escooter casually weaving left & right as he sped down the main road.....

But it wont be little johnny`s fault , as seen by the riots after a couple paid the price after crashing when the police were following them

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom