E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The thread title is a bit premature. At the moment it's only a proposal out for consultation.

Perhaps if it gets the go ahead it will take some of the focus off cyclists as the scourge of the roads, because of course scooter riders will: obey traffic lights, not ride on pavements, not ride two abreast, not hog the lane, wear helmets, use lights, wear hi-viz clothing, use a warning bell, pay "road tax", not terrorise pedestrians on shared paths or pedestrian crossings, under/overtake queued traffic. :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
They should be much safer than cyclists! E-scooter riders will obviously be able to brake harder than us and simply roll over potholes that would have us on the deck. Or maybe not... :whistle:
Casualty figures are twice that of cycling.

Given the nature of some of the cycle lanes round these parts, on the pavements, how many users will chose to stay on the pavement rather than the roads.

I'd love to know if they'd require VED and plates, insurance, to be used on the roads.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I don't want to end up in a situation like India where some segregated cycle paths are fully used by mopeds & motorbikes. IMHO, allowing motorised traffic onto spaces designated for non-motorised isn't a good idea. I note that Amsterdam banned 'bromfiets' from the city cycle lanes about 2 years ago. Why are we considering allowing these things onto roads because they'll end up on pavements & cyclepaths and already are raced on them if you look at the videos on Youtube. There's a lot of aggressive propaganda on these things at the moment.

When I learnt to drive in 1981, I was firmly told not to park on bends, double yellow lines or pavements all of which are now regularly committed by motorists. I think this is because our culture is convenience-obsessed. There may be a minority of folk who can't cycle due to physical disability or medical condition but to me, a lot simply can't be bothered to pedal. They want ease & convenience but none of the hard work. So if people ditch cars due to expense/congestion yet still crave convenience, they'll fill up cycle lanes/paths with e-scooters. And what about e-boards & those e-wheels?. They are fully prepared to break the law at the moment since personal convenience is more important to them and it comes ahead of anything else.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
There's not a lot I can add really that @captain nemo1701 hasn't already said. Post of that day there I think.

If you go to any of the cities where these are common, they can be a complete and utter menace because they're a boon to the terminally idle. Sadly the terminally idle do also tend to be irresponsible and selfish people. Hire versions are casually tossed (sometimes in little tangled heaps of 3) in the middle of city centre pavements, riders ride them wherever they damn well please at silly speeds (including pedestrianised streets, parks, roads, cycleways, veering between any or all of them as it suits), with associated increases in injuries and hospital admissions. Many city mayors are trying to ban them now.

I think the theory of the machine itself is excellent, and it would be the ideal transport for some (including my Mrs who works one town over, in an isolated part of it). I do think most cyclists would ride them responsibly. The trouble is that there are a lot of irresponsible people out there. Paris, Brussels, Atlanta, and dozens of other cities have already found that out.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If you go to any of the cities where these are common, they can be a complete and utter menace because they're a boon to the terminally idle.
Oh, sorry - you mean e-scooters. I thought you were talking about cars.

Seriously though, of course there'll be issues. And people will get hurt. And some will be killed. But replacing one-person transport with a 5kg payload over one-person transport with a tonne & a half payload has to be a no-brainer doesn't it? We can fine-tune the rules and regs as we go along. And realistically it'll only ever be a marginal help (most people will still prefer their cars). But every little helps, no?

D

Deleted member 26715

When I learnt to drive in 1981, I was firmly told not to park on bends, double yellow lines or pavements all of which are now regularly committed by motorists. I think this is because our culture is convenience-obsessed.
I'm not convinced that is the reason, I think it's more to do with the chances of being caught & more importantly fined/penalised are virtually nil. Last week the local council had a parking inspector/enforcement officer (or whatever the latest re-branding now calls them) was outside the local school, they ticketed cars parked on the zig-zag of the crossing, in the bus stop, at least 1 car parked on the junction, but as far as I know not on a couple parked half/half on the footpath. The next day no cars were parked in these areas, TBH not been back since so it may well be as bad again.

Top Bottom