E10 petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I can see that older cars may struggle with E10. However, our last 3 or 4 cars*, all Toyotas, have had E5 and E10 capability. Since filling up with E10 twice, so what's in the tank is approximately E8.5 at the moment, I've noticed no change in performance or mpg.

* We buy new and change every 2-3 yrs. So that takes us back to 2012/3.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not even close, will use slightly more of it too
Yes! I noticed it when accelerating and thought that it was just the exhaust rattling,then I just remembered . Ah ! Pinking !

It might be lower grade supermarket petrol .
I used to get it a bit on my Astra, particually if you found yourself accelerating while in the wrong gear....sounded like the exhaust was 'tinkling...a funny metaĺic sound. Or perhaps it was just the exhaust rattling :laugh:

mustang1

Guru
In the movie, Duel, there is a scene where the car driver is that the gas station and and the attendant asks what fuel he needs and the driver responds "fill her with ethol".

What is that, an ethanol-mix? That was on a 1960s Plymouth Valiant.

figbat

Slippery scientist
In the movie, Duel, there is a scene where the car driver is that the gas station and and the attendant asks what fuel he needs and the driver responds "fill her with ethol".

What is that, an ethanol-mix? That was on a 1960s Plymouth Valiant.
It’s “ethyl” - this was the common name used for regular leaded fuel; the lead component was tetraethyl lead.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Just wonder, I remember unleaded coming in and it was burning out valve seats ? Back when leaded petrol got removed ? Have I got that wrong ?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Just wonder, I remember unleaded coming in and it was burning out valve seats ? Back when leaded petrol got removed ? Have I got that wrong ?
It wasn’t burning out the valve seats, it was wearing them away. The tetraethyl lead (TEL) in the fuel combusted to form a protective lead-based film on the valve seats, meaning they could be made of a softer material. When the TEL was removed the protection was also removed and the valve seats wore away. The fix was either to use a lead replacement supplement or to have the valve seats replaced with harder ones.

Even cars with hardened seats needed their ignition retarding because regular unleaded is 95 RON and 4-star was 98. The TEL was added as an octane booster.

Top Bottom