E10 petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Does anybody know if E10 works in two-stroke outboards? If so, how long before it "goes stale"?

sittingbull

Veteran
My car does not like E10. Running rough .......................

A friend of mine is saying similar with his Fiesta, may just be coincidence at this stage (for him).

Does anybody know if E10 works in two-stroke outboards? If so, how long before it "goes stale"?
Opinion with 2-stroke garden machinery seems to be to discard after 30 days, source fresh fuel and mix again.

sittingbull

Veteran
Assuming you were using E5 previously then E10 is worse.

You could switch to super unleaded which remains E5, or in the case of Esso is ethanol free* (still shows as E5 at the pump nozzle).

Having said that you MAY still get away with 2 to 3 months. I've read it stores for longer in metal containers rather than plastic.

* subject to regional variations.

Last edited:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Assuming you were using E5 previously then E10 is worse.

You could switch to super unleaded which remains E5, or in the case of Esso is ethanol free (still shows as E5 at the pump nozzle).

Having said that you MAY still get away with 2 to 3 months. I've read it stores for longer in metal containers rather than plastic.

I often wonder about the fuel supplied, as almost all of the fuel supplied locally is sourced from a railhead depot where fuel is transported by rail and stored on site then transferred into tankers for delivery to fuel station forecourts, given the fuel comes from a single fuel refinery location, do the trains transport 12 different grades of unleaded, or just the most common ones, I'm doubting that all the different garages have their own unique grade of fuel given the nature of the supply infrastructure.

sittingbull

Veteran
................................................. I'm doubting that all the different garages have their own unique grade of fuel given the nature of the supply infrastructure.

I've wondered about this myself. How can they cater for the different octane levels, ethanol levels, performance boosters etc. etc? Then again how did they distribute 2,3 4 and even 5 star petrol? Is supermarket petrol equivalent to the major oil companies fuel? ................................

@figbat has provided a plausible explanation.

Not all of the Esso super-unleaded is ethanol free, there are regional variations and not all of the forecourts stock super-unleaded.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Guy Martin's programme was very interesting. He drove Hyundai electric vehicle from Grimsby to Scotland and back , covering 550 miles. The car's makers claim a range of 298 miles per charge, he achieved 155 miles. He found that not all charging points worked and was astonished at the price of the fast charging machines 70p per KWH. The cost of his journey was £204 compared with £140 for diesel . At the end of the programme he said that electric vehicles are the future but they are not there yet and still a few years away .
At some point as more electric vehicles become more common the government is going to have to start taxing them as they won't be getting any revenue .

I had a google for what you are on about and this is what came up....

Grimsby's Guy Martin gets caught short on British roads while trying to make world's fastest electric car

I mean faulty and dodgy chargers a side. His main problem was that he was probably trying to put the pedal through the floor at any given opportunity and of course if youre going to be an absolute nutter behind the wheel then the only choice for you if not sticking with fossil fuels is a custom limousine with the entire floor made out of a super sized battery pack which will probably take a few days to reach a full charge.

What he did doesn't represent the actual mileage you would get out of an electric car with daily usage under normal conditions. (assuming we are talking about his 'project 45' VW EV swap)

the problem with calculating the exact range of an EV on a single charge is that there are a tonne of variables that can affect it... headwind/tail wind, traffic, throttle control, how much extra luggage/weight you are carrying or have in the car.

From what i have seen. The numbers given by the manufacturer need to be taken with a pinch of salt because your driving conditions will never match their testing conditions. If a manufacturer tells you the range is 150miles on a full charge then I would assume 100-130miles in real world conditions before the battery is absolutely done and youre out trying to push it to the side of the road.

if youre constantly driving up and down the motorway. sticking with a diesel would probably be a better idea but for most city dwellers, an electric would be absolutely fine so long as you have a place to charge it at night otherwise its a bit of an inconvenience always having to drive somewhere to a charger and sit around for 30-60mins for a decent amount of charge.

Drago

Legendary Member
The individual branded fuels are dosed with their unique additives during loading into the road tankers - this is what differentiates them. The base fuel is from the same source.

keithmac

Guru
I assume that E10 petrol will of course be cheaper to buy, because of it's lower oil content?
And then I woke up..... :rolleyes:

Hit the nail on the head there!. Ethanol is a by-product if other production processes and basically a filler.

Any modern car governed by it's target AFR tables will inject more fuel to maintain the desired AFR, less MPG for your £.

People seem oblivious to this it seems, you are basically getting less fuel for the same money..

Reactions: gbb

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's something about ethanol (the specifics are only a web search away) that causes it to absorb water and this in turn leads to condensation, rusts stuff and generally plays havoc. Look on any classic car site and you'll see the tales of woe.
Classic car fans blaming change and new things for problems which have always happened isn't exactly a surprise!

Ethanol doesn't grab water from the air. see https://www.theautochannel.com/news/2016/03/18/209988-ethanol-does-not-suck-water-out-air.html

Most classic car internal moisture problems will be condensation.

Top Bottom