East Yorkshire Big G Cyclosportive 2010 (July)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

zacklaws

Guru
The new routes are out:-

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/cyclosportive/route.aspx

I was mortified to see that on the 100k route part of it now is a variation of that route I rode unknowingly a couple of months ago and found that it made it slightly harder and took longer. I have just plotted the route out in Bikeroute Toaster and find that instead of 100k or 63 miles, it is now 109k or 67.7 miles. Providing that times are amended for this extra distance, then I doubt that I will make it in 4 hours as another 5 miles will add about 15 minutes to my time.

I have not yet checked the other two routes to see what changes have been made, but I presume that it will be the same change, the bit between Beverley and Middleton on the Wolds on the outward journey. In reality though, I cannot see how the route has increased in distance so much by such a little change, so maybe Toaster is miscalculating it. Just doing the area in connection to the change works out at just 3.75 miles longer.

Despite not wanting to ride it again till the day, looks I will have to give it another go next week to see if I can do it in 4 hours and if not, will it be worth training to see if I can be able to do so, and if I think its not possible, then it will be just a leisurely ride, set up an extra chair at the feed station for me, let me get my moneys worth this year.

Fiona N

Veteran
zacklaws said:
...I have just plotted the route out in Bikeroute Toaster and find that instead of 100k or 63 miles, it is now 109k or 67.7 miles. .. I cannot see how the route has increased in distance so much by such a little change, so maybe Toaster is miscalculating it. Just doing the area in connection to the change works out at just 3.75 miles longer.

I just measured the old and new routes between Cherry Burton (old splitting of the out and back routes) and Middleton and it sems like the new route is about 10km longer - most of it from that westwards loop after South Dalton, of course, but the distance to the split of out and return routes after Etton is also a fair bit longer. So I'm not surprised about your overall calculated increase.

You're right that this is a significant increase to absorb if they don't also increase the time limits.

zacklaws

Guru
I was hoping to ride the Molescroft - Middleton bit this morning to see how long it would take plus what the actual distance is, but my plans fell through. And with my car booked in for its MOT on Monday and with working nights this weekend,all my waking time will be spend degunging the car, I may not get out till next Tuesday. I do find though that mapping programs can be a bit on the plus side but if not, then it will be an average speed nearer 17mph than 16mph to get round in less than 4 hours.

zacklaws

Guru
Just done a quick ride this morning from Molescroft to Midleton on the new route.

The new route is now 12.43 miles which has increased the distance by 3.66 miles over the old route. Time wise I got to Midleton in 44 mins avg 16.8mph which is 14 mins longer than what it takes me on the old route. In reality I usually get to North Dalton in 38 mins and that is the point on which I know how well I am going to do as from that point onwards it starts to get hilly, so I know now that if the times are not adjusted, it will be a struggle to achieve a gold this year as somehow I have to make up 14 mins

Team Fiwip

Unless I'm mistaken aren’t sportives supposed to fun, a personal challenge and all that… unless you’re riding on the rivet 14 mins shouldn’t be too difficult to make up over 4hrs, just treat it as a further test, make the gold standard and give yourself a well deserved pat on the back

Shaun

Founder
Much as I'm looking forward to this (well, sort of, I don't do hills very well ... :evil:) - I have now been informed by Mrs. Admin that little Ms. Admin has her first ever dance class performance on this day.

I'll do my best to petition her to let me come on the ride, but she's keen on my being involved in all the daughter's firsts so family may win out.

The dance performance is 2pm - what's the earliest start time for the 100km ride? anyone know? I'm wondering if I'll be able to do both ...

zacklaws

Guru
Looking at the website, the earliest is 0730:-

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/cyclosportive/index.aspx

Last year, according to my download of last years event I started at 0828 took 4hrs on the 100k and I was in the pub by 1400ish.

Based on starting at 0730, plan on 5 hours max for the ride which is more than enough at a slowish pace, that should give you at least 90 minutes to get back to Hull. But I have a feeling that the early start times are for the 160k riders but there should be opportunities to get going at that time.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I'm doing a 160k & would like an early start - so if you and Trev want to set off with me early, on the pretence you are my 'pace men' ;) for my 160k we may be able to wing it?

As Zack suggests you should easily be able to do the distance in that time; with the great news for little mrs admin you won the race :biggrin: :smile: !

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Admin said:
The dance performance is 2pm - what's the earliest start time for the 100km ride? anyone know? I'm wondering if I'll be able to do both ...

The main problem will be how long you stop at the feed station, with all those lovely cakes :biggrin: I think you'll miss the dance class performance ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Is the racing on, on the Friday night again? Anyone thinking of watching it?

I'm thinking of riding over on Friday (as long as I can get the day off), staying in Beverley (is there still a Youth Hostel?), doing the Big G, and riding back on Sunday.

Otherwise, I'll have to borrow/hire a car to get the trike over and back on the day.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Arch said:

I'm thinking of riding over on Friday (as long as I can get the day off), staying in Beverley (is there still a Youth Hostel?), doing the Big G, and riding back on Sunday.

I wont be at the racing on Friday, due to work :shy:
AFAIK there is still a Youth Hostel, I think it's alongside the railway line just south of the station, if i'm that way at 11pm I'll give you a toot on the friday night :wahhey:

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Arch said:

Otherwise, I'll have to borrow/hire a car to get the trike over and back on the day.

I'm driving over in the morning. My car should be able to take your trike and my bike (I might even have room for you as well!). I'm doing the 100k ride as well.

Top Bottom