Easy to get confused by expert cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's only 15.5ish MPH.

A few guys I ride with have pretty expensive bikes and tend to pay for a bike shop to maintain & repair them, being a self confessed inverted snob I like riding old, quirky stuff and working on it, but it's all good IMO, they're putting money into the industry and LBS's and I'm saving the planet;) and to be honest, if my premium bonds came up with a million quid I'd probably be ordering a Colnago heritage frame set just because it's a thing of beauty.

DRM

Guru
I never buy cycling magazines but Mrs D got me a copy 'Cyclist' for my birthday. The monthly product review consisted of a £10k bike, £3.5k wheel set, £300 shoes, £200 shorts.
I can see how easily someone new to cycling could get the impression that's the type of money you need to spend.
That’s exactly how that particular publication sells itself, all top end stuff that‘s a pipe dream for most, as is the places they ride, it’s a waste of £5

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I rather like the reverse snobbery aspect of being quite good on an ok bike but also having put it together myself from used parts that nobody under about 40 have much idea about. I'm not necessarily saying I'm quite good btw. Does that make sense?

Milzy

Guru
No. I know it’s childish but when the guys bonk on their super bikes during our long range club rides It gives me a warm glow inside knowing I got a decent bike, gravel bike & top turbo trainer plus saved a few grand by not making their choices.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I have done a lot of reading on the next bike I wish to buy. My budget is £1500 max and, according to expert cyclists, this is just entry level bikes and not worth looking at because they don't have the latest deraileurs/ train set/ carbon frames etc.....
I have no intention of entering any races, not bothered about losing a few grams here and there, don't wish to go from a to b as fast as possible, not interested in climbing 25% slopes.
Two of my bikes have aluminium frames with carbon forks and Claris gear change. My other one is full carbon and 105 gear change but I am happy with riding either of them.
I think those reviews by experts are designed to guide you to spend more money than you intend to really by playing on your ego so I will stick to my budget and am pretty sure I will get a very decent bike that will meet my needs and make me happy when I ride it.
Last night, I was watching a report on YouTube on bikes up to 1500 euros and the guy was rubbishlng them all, saying that no bike is worth buying unless you spend at least £3500 !!
Do you take much notice of experts when you look for a new ride?
No, the only opinion that matters is yours. I've read reviews praising bikes that have had serious issues with them. They are for the companies to sell bikes end of.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Arguably the Law of Diminishing Returns for bikes, if strictly interpreted, starts at about a hundred quid.

Don't think I agree with that, though perhaps see what you are getting at. I stand by my £400 minimum (OK maybe £300) as much below that you are more likely than not to get something that is so bad it is not really a usable bike.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not sure he’s after a 20 year old bike.
Yeahbut a twenty year old bike can be just just as good as one that’s just come off of shop floor. There haven’t been any significant changes in technology in that time apart maybe from Di2 that will make it a better ride or superior in any way.
The only thing that makes the new bike better is the feel good factor.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think there are three parts to the buying decision; will the bike fulfill my objectives? Is it a sound investment? Can I afford this?

I would always look at these choices in this order and usually end up spending more than intended. I'm someone who couldn't build a bike, maintain etc. without my LBS. Some people, I think unfairly, categorize me for this as I'm far from all the gear and no idea.

The sound investment is important. Replacing my summer bike would be a £5000 purchase which is not what I paid five years ago. I get huge pleasure from this bike and am still squeezing more performance out of it. I know this wouldn't be the case with a lower specced machine.

Just yesterday while I cleaned her I contemplated a replacement. I'd be too worried about being disappointed to do this. I simply love this bike. So my thoughts have turned to a respray this winter and possibly components upgrade.

I feel the £3000 I spent on this bike was an outstanding investment. It's a joy to ride and with the respray etc. will give me another five years pleasure. I'll be 71 then and I may make different bike choices.

So in short investing in expensive high quality machines is not always a vanity purchase.

£1500 may not buy the latest brand name but it will by you a d@mm good bike. I don't actually buy a bike often myself and the last couple of times I have went down the frame route. Spent the most possible on the frame and aimed to reuse a old group set and wheels etc. Although the last two times I have had the plan to transfer group sets but ended up going for new or 2nd hand ones, and other new stuff. I have stuck to my original plan of reusing wheels though 🙄

Drago

Legendary Member
That's what this whole thread boils down to. I spent 2and a half grand on my trek 2 years ago and get as much pleasure from it now as I did then.
I also have an aluminuim spesh allez that I paid 700 notes for in 2013 and thats a fantastic bike as well.
But thats not the issue.

If you spend 2 and a half gees and it brings you great pleasure, then no sane person is going to knock you for that.

Its the so called experts telling us we need this, or we need that, when in reality we need no such thing. I dare say that in performance terms you'd almost certainly be just as fast, have just as much endurance, or be just as comfortable on a thousand pound bike, which makes a mockery of that which the experts tell us.

That the extra money spent brings you enjoyment through different facets of the ownership experience is not what the OP was on about. He was sounding off about experts telling us how much we need stuff, when none of us do if were honest. We might want it, desire it, enjoy it, but thats a different argument and not what the OP started the thread for, but its kind of inevitable thats the way it ended up.

mustang1

Legendary Member
This thing about entry-level bikes is a favourite topic of mine and I have to stop myself from trolling these boards....

It's ALL MARKETING. The bike brands show these bikes that cost ten or twenty thousand pounds. The bike media, not knowing what else to talk about, promote these stories of super expensive bikes. The youtube channels also need clickbait so they talk about it too. As do magazine reviewers and so on. And before you know it, that 10k bike has become the standard by which other bikes must be judged. The bike brands do not care whether they sell these "halo" bikes; alll they want to do is get htier brand being talked about and increase prices through-out the range, thus increasing the average price at which a bike is sold. Bingo! And have you ever noticed there are so many "bike brands"? Why's that then? Because it's relatively easy to make a bike frame. But there are far less groupset manufacturers right? Only Shimano/Campagnolo/SRAM; there's a high barrier to entry. Making a frame is far easier - not saying it's totally simple, but the barrier to making/selling one is easy: if you're an independent and cannot make carbon frames due to setup costs, then make a steel frame and everyone will think you are cool. Are you a big company? Great, so make carbon frames and try and convince everyone that your frame is better than the next guy's frame. If you haev a big marketing budget, then you get more brand recognition and sell more frames. Bingo!

There is a caveat though. Generrally speaking, the more expensive frames are better than the cheaper ones. I have a cheapo bike, current list price is £300. I also have a pricier bike and the difference is huge. But then there is the law of diminishing returns. Comparing a £300 bike with a £600 bike leads to large improvements in the dearer bike. Comparing £1000 bike with a £1500 bike, the differences are there but not as noticeable.

So I'm just gonna give a quick answer here which pretty much alludes to what the others have said (that you shouldn't worry about what experts think. Well, except for me of course, as I am an expert. :cheers:

Today, in 2021, if you spend £800-1000 on a bike, you're doing a-ok. You'll have strong wheels, a lower end (but stronger and sturdier and longer lasting perhaps) groupset from Japan (those guys sure are a reliable bunch). Then spend £2-.300 on a few tools/clothes/shoes. Ride your bike for a few months, you may have a couple of problems, learn to fix them. Then once this covid goes away, spend the reaminder of your money on a little cycling holiday. So for your £1.5k, you get a great bike, some tools that will last years, some bike clothes to make you comfortable, and a holiday whose memory will last a lifetime.

Now then, how about "entry-level" golf clubs, hifi systems, cushions. (Ok, just joking about the cushions ^_^).

Top Bottom