Easy to get confused by expert cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I think there are three parts to the buying decision; will the bike fulfill my objectives? Is it a sound investment? Can I afford this?

I would always look at these choices in this order and usually end up spending more than intended. I'm someone who couldn't build a bike, maintain etc. without my LBS. Some people, I think unfairly, categorize me for this as I'm far from all the gear and no idea.

The sound investment is important. Replacing my summer bike would be a £5000 purchase which is not what I paid five years ago. I get huge pleasure from this bike and am still squeezing more performance out of it. I know this wouldn't be the case with a lower specced machine.

Just yesterday while I cleaned her I contemplated a replacement. I'd be too worried about being disappointed to do this. I simply love this bike. So my thoughts have turned to a respray this winter and possibly components upgrade.

I feel the £3000 I spent on this bike was an outstanding investment. It's a joy to ride and with the respray etc. will give me another five years pleasure. I'll be 71 then and I may make different bike choices.

So in short investing in expensive high quality machines is not always a vanity purchase.
What bike is it please? out of interest.

It's all relative I suppose. I have one bike, a tourer. It does that brilliantly it is also daily transport, shopper, trailer towing for bigger stuff and everything in between. I buy the best I can afford when replacing things. Had it 15 years so far. The experts in magazines have no relevance to me as a daily bike rider.
Got to ask what this is, a pic maybe. Honest request.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
No problem.

Attachments

• 20210502_105703.jpg
    20210502_105703.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 13

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Originally drops but I love butterfly bars. I don't honestly remember the tubing the sticker long rubbed off. Great bike and gone way above my expectations. Just renew bits as they wear out.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My bikes range for £30 to over £4k. Each have their own style and ride differently, I don't regret a single penny spent on them. Even the full suspension MTB that hung in my garage pretty much unused for a few years that I lost a fortune on. The smiles per mile on each bike is well worth what I paid. Then again - I just spent £400 on a kayak paddle and realised that I picked the wrong colour :smile:

davidphilips

Veteran
The cycle industry same as car/beauty/holiday and so on spend vast sums of money paying for advertising and so called experts to help us part with our money, there will always be debate on what bike is best value, lasts longer , what groupset or frame material or wheels are best etc.

My view is that for most you only need one bike that is the correct size, after that its what you want and money spent on cycling is money well spent if you use your new bike/wheels etc.

There are a few i cycle with that have spent vast sums on bikes and just last week was looking at the new bike a custom made Donard costing over 9k nice looking bike made from Reynolds 953.
I was on one of my older bikes perhaps worth about £150 only after the coffee stop when we started cycling again did i think the donard was great looking perhaps as good looking as any bike i have seen but my own test for a really great bike is cycle on it, do a few long cycles and you should not notice any thing or even think about the gears/brakes etc the really good bike is totally unnoticeable when cycling it just does every thing right.

How much to spent on a good bike? only know 2 true answers, law of diminishing returns applies along with how longs a bit of string?

Buy a cheap supermarket bike and it should be ok for short cycles etc but start doing long cycles or hard training on it and it just wont last, buy a top of the range bike with Campagnolo super record etc and end up paying over £300 every time you replace a chain and cassette?

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I can't remember where I originally heard/read this, but there are only two things you need to remember about an expert: an 'ex' is a has-been and a 'spurt' is a drip under pressure. :whistle:

The cycle industry same as car/beauty/holiday and so on spend vast sums of money paying for advertising and so called experts to help us part with our money, there will always be debate on what bike is best value, lasts longer , what groupset or frame material or wheels are best etc.

My view is that for most you only need one bike that is the correct size, after that its what you want and money spent on cycling is money well spent if you use your new bike/wheels etc.

There are a few i cycle with that have spent vast sums on bikes and just last week was looking at the new bike a custom made Donard costing over 9k nice looking bike made from Reynolds 953.
I was on one of my older bikes perhaps worth about £150 only after the coffee stop when we started cycling again did i think the donard was great looking perhaps as good looking as any bike i have seen but my own test for a really great bike is cycle on it, do a few long cycles and you should not notice any thing or even think about the gears/brakes etc the really good bike is totally unnoticeable when cycling it just does every thing right.

How much to spent on a good bike? only know 2 true answers, law of diminishing returns applies along with how longs a bit of string?

Buy a cheap supermarket bike and it should be ok for short cycles etc but start doing long cycles or hard training on it and it just wont last, buy a top of the range bike with Campagnolo super record etc and end up paying over £300 every time you replace a chain and cassette?

>>but my own test for a really great bike is cycle on it

I take it you weren't allowed to test ride this "donard" ?(must admit they mean nothing to me in my ignorance)

Top Bottom