Eating raw meat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Having just bitten into a small piece of very undercooked chicken, I wondered if there are any real carnivores in the population. The chicken was horrible in both texture and taste.
A while ago, out of curiosity, I made a steak tartare. It was OK but only made tolerable by vast amounts of spicy sauces.

Are there any proper Hannibal Lecters out there?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I've eaten raw liver, if that counts.
Hard to get fresh now, so not too keen on trying it again, at present.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As much as I often seem to find myself endorsing leftfield practices on here that apparently invite ridicule, in this case - nope :tongue:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Tried oysters for the first time the other week. I liked them but the salt water made me gag. I don't like rare steak, but I have had sushi with raw tuna and it was ok.
I did once have a mouthful of undercooked chicken, it put me off chicken for a few weeks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeah, raw fish can be very nice, especially salmon but meat, that’s a whole different story. I remember being in Belgium once for work and Monsanto put on an evening reception and served a large trolley heaped with steak tartare. My colleague said yummy and got stuck into it, the next morning he told me he’d been praying to the porcelain idol most of the night, although that could have been the raw egg. xx( Yuk.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm not a massive red meat eater but when I do eat it I like it rare. The rarer the better in most cases. Not a fan of burnt meat.
I Love oysters and absolutely love sushi.

PK99

Legendary Member
Yep, I love a good steak tartare / filet Americain. :hungry:

Beef can be eaten while still mooing, lamb and duck can be eaten rather pink. Pork, chicken and turkey should be thoroughly cooked.

Unless you're Mesdames Poppy and Lexi, who will eat *anything* raw.

Not correct for Pork
https://thetakeout.com/we-should-be-eating-medium-rare-pork-1828528374
The stigma against well-done steak does not extend to its white-meat cousin, pork. Americans don’t think twice before cooking our pork chops until they’re white (verging on gray) throughout, and some people might even squirm a bit when served a pink-center tenderloin. But friends, that’s wrong. To avoid the menace of shoe-leather pork, we should in fact be cooking it to medium-rare.

“I think a lot of pork has tended to be overcooked, and that traces back to when trichinella was considered a huge issue in pork. Most people grew up on pork being traditionally overcooked, even myself,” Martin Bucknavage, senior food safety extension associate at Penn State’s Department Of Food Science, tells The Takeout. “When it comes to pork, a lot of people don’t even use a thermometer, they just cook the hell out of it.”

Iberico pork in particular is best served pink.
this from the Brindisa website:
1657445543963.png

Top Bottom