Eating raw meat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A long time ago you were correct, many restaurants now serve various cuts blush pink.

As the quoted link says: I think a lot of pork has tended to be overcooked, and that traces back to when trichinella was considered a huge issue in pork

Even today pork tends to be overcooked. It takes a lot of skill not to overcook pork. Pork has a long history of risk issues across geography and cultures hence the middle east with its climate that the Jews and Muslims have avoided it as its spoils fast. Basically don't go there and it is now religion.

Have tried it when it less cooked than the normal pork chop and it is indeed nice. Also in my Asian travels, Far East countries are heavy into pork but they tell me it has to be minced, diced or strips so it is still soft and well cooked, again for safety reasons

I always leaned towards pork hence my refugees in sausages but when opportunity for slow and low heat pork chop avail itself I don't miss it.

Just been down to mu local High Street to pick something up. Noticed a new restaurant being fitted.
Sushi place.
Brilliant. Looking forward to the opening.

Had a Japanese colleague come into London. He was amazed by the popularity of Sushi in the UK. Its such a wonderful cuisine.

There is, IMHO, a big difference between thoroughly cooked and overcooked.

Pork is great for flash-frying / stir frying / schnitzel, where just a couple of minutes or so in a hot pan is plenty. Equally, a shoulder is good for cooking long and slow until the meat falls apart.

Loin and chops *are* difficult to get right, because there's no fat marbling through the meat, and it's a fine edge between cooked right and boot sole.

I love cured salmon - do my own gravalax when I can get salmon on yellow sticker. Sushi - yep, love that too. I'm intolerant to seafood in varying degrees, so I don't dare try oysters. I can eat prawns, scallops and crab as long as I don't have to peel / dress them, but mussels are iffy.

presta

Guru
I'm very wary of food poisoning, so I tend to overcook meat as a matter of course. I recall eating an undercooked chilli con carne once because I was too polite to take it back, and spent the night with my head down the toilet. I prefer foodstuffs that have a fixed cooking time rather than ones that need adjusting according to size and shape.

My father tried an oyster once and said it was like a piece of rubber wetted in brine, so I've never felt the urge to try one.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There is, IMHO, a big difference between thoroughly cooked and overcooked.

Pork is great for flash-frying / stir frying / schnitzel, where just a couple of minutes or so in a hot pan is plenty. Equally, a shoulder is good for cooking long and slow until the meat falls apart.

Loin and chops *are* difficult to get right, because there's no fat marbling through the meat, and it's a fine edge between cooked right and boot sole.

I love cured salmon - do my own gravalax when I can get salmon on yellow sticker. Sushi - yep, love that too. I'm intolerant to seafood in varying degrees, so I don't dare try oysters. I can eat prawns, scallops and crab as long as I don't have to peel / dress them, but mussels are iffy.

Living and diving where I do I have had access to all sorts of seafood.
Salmon straight from the fish cages and whitebait they caught from the cages using a drop net. Scallops, crab, lobster, squat lobster and crayfish as well as langoustine which I had creels out to catch. Sometimes got conger in the creels but a bit coarse tho' a neighbour took any when offered as he liked them.
Mussels from the shore in carefully selected places and there were also oysters if you knew where to look. Oysters have been likened to snotters in a shell and I never liked them.
We also got in season cod ,haddock, pollack and of course mackerel and sometimes monkfish.
Living inland we would never have had access to all that variety.

Edit to add I forgot coalfish which are ok for fishcakes, dogfish which were apparently dyed pink and sold in English chip shops as rock salmon and whelks which one of my books tells me need a lot of cooking and best served in garlic vinegar.:ohmy:

Last edited:
Living and diving where I do I have had access to all sorts of seafood.
Salmon straight from the fish cages and whitebait they caught from the cages using a drop net. Scallops, crab, lobster, squat lobster and crayfish as well as langoustine which I had creels out to catch. Sometimes got conger in the creels but a bit coarse tho' a neighbour took any when offered as he liked them.
Mussels from the shore in carefully selected places and there were also oysters if you knew where to look. Oysters have been likened to snotters in a shell and I never liked them.
We also got in season cod ,haddock, pollack and of course mackerel and sometimes monkfish.
Living inland we would never have had access to all that variety.

Snotters in a shell... I'm going to borrow that! :laugh:

presta

Guru
I once had a ten course banquet at a Chinese restaurant. The only course I didn't try was the 'sea cucumber', being as it looked like a giant green bogey quivering on the plate. I wasn't much interested in whether it was cooked or not.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I once had a ten course banquet at a Chinese restaurant. The only course I didn't try was the 'sea cucumber', being as it looked like a giant green bogey quivering on the plate. I wasn't much interested in whether it was cooked or not.

As far as I can remember it is a kind of sea slug.

Reactions: C R

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I'm very wary of food poisoning, so I tend to overcook meat as a matter of course. I recall eating an undercooked chilli con carne once because I was too polite to take it back, and spent the night with my head down the toilet. I prefer foodstuffs that have a fixed cooking time rather than ones that need adjusting according to size and shape.

My father tried an oyster once and said it was like a piece of rubber wetted in brine, so I've never felt the urge to try one.

From my experience with chilli sin carne, your reaction is at least as likely to have resulted from incorrectly cooked red kidney beans.
Projectile from both ends, so glad we have a bidet right next to the toilet!

Apologies to anyone with sensitive digestion who is reading this!

Top Bottom