Eating raw meat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does this include Billtong?

I'm not talking about the little piddly packets you see on a rack, but real big chunks of cured meat.

The best I've had was some a friend brought back from South Africa for me, it was the 'wet' variety and very nice.

Pic for ref.

Attachments

• Salty-Ginger-Biltong-8-2x3-1-720x1080.jpg
    Salty-Ginger-Biltong-8-2x3-1-720x1080.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2

PK99

Legendary Member
Does this include Billtong?

I'm not talking about the little piddly packets you see on a rack, but real big chunks of cured meat.

The best I've had was some a friend brought back from South Africa for me, it was the 'wet' variety and very nice.

Pic for ref.

Biltong is salt and spice dry cured then air dried. Traditionally very dry for long storage, modern preference is generally for less dried, or wet.

Essentially the same as cured ham, or cured lomo.

My Zimbo rellies make it a lot in the UK. But thr buggers always eat it before I get a chance.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
Freshest, and best, raw seafood I ever had was on Whale watching trip off Iceland.

Bucket sized dredge off the back of the boat brought up scallops and sea urchin. Cleaned, washed in seawater nd devoured within a minute or two of being pulled off the sea bed.
Wow!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But friends, that’s wrong.
This is cobblers.

The idea that there's a "right" or "wrong" degree of how something should be cooked is hogwash*. It leads to ridiculous gourmandism "oh my dear, there was an odd number of peas ... That's wrong.

De gustibus non est disputandum

No I've never tried raw meat. I don't fancy the idea.

* Unless safety related

Last edited:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
We had a women who worked here, who had emigrated from South Africa. She asked someone here where they got their worm tablets from :eek:

Asking why she needed such things, apparently she eat a lot of raw meat - especially pork products, which was quite the norm, back where she was from

Solocle

Über Member
We had a women who worked here, who had emigrated from South Africa. She asked someone here where they got their worm tablets from :eek:

Asking why she needed such things, apparently she eat a lot of raw meat - especially pork products, which was quite the norm, back where she was from

Recommend the local veterinarian? :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
How many have been inside a working abattoir? I have and that would put you off any meat.
I did catch and kill rabbits with no qualms as well as lots of fish but the sheer bulk and smell of the abattoir is different.

Julia9054

Guru
Biltong is salt and spice dry cured then air dried. Traditionally very dry for long storage, modern preference is generally for less dried, or wet.

Essentially the same as cured ham, or cured lomo.

My Zimbo rellies make it a lot in the UK. But thr buggers always eat it before I get a chance.

When we worked out there, a colleague of Al's used to make his own. Brought some round once. I declined - everyone else had a lovely bout of going both ends for 48 hours

classic33

Leg End Member
How many have been inside a working abattoir? I have and that would put you off any meat.
I did catch and kill rabbits with no qualms as well as lots of fish but the sheer bulk and smell of the abattoir is different.
Yes, more than once and more than flying visits. There was also a slaughter house in the town centre until the late 1980's.

And I still eat meat.

DRM

Guru
Yes, more than once and more than flying visits. There was also a slaughter house in the town centre until the late 1980's.

And I still eat meat.

Me too, the smell is indescribable, but once you’ve had the smell, you never forget it, the larger ones are literally a conveyer belt, cows walk-in one end, meat comes out the other end, the inedible bits get dipped in dye and go straight in the unfit for human consumption skip.
I think we are now so far removed from where meat comes from, once you would see the delivery going to the butchers shop, you could tell what the carcass was, now all you see is a joint in polystyrene pack in the supermarket

I think we are now so far removed from where meat comes from, once you would see the delivery going to the butchers shop, you could tell what the carcass was, now all you see is a joint in polystyrene pack in the supermarket

Yeah, agreed. And it's not just meat, but other foodstuffs as well. So much stuff comes ready made, oven ready, pre-cut, pre-chopped, crumbed, battered...

Although It did make you think, sometimes, watching a meat delivery to a butcher, what with the carcasses hanging up on hooks in the van, and sawdust on the floor. And in the shop, too, sometimes... But it was fascinating to watch a butcher turn that carcass into joints and chops and all the things you see displayed on the slab.

classic33

Leg End Member
Me too, the smell is indescribable, but once you’ve had the smell, you never forget it, the larger ones are literally a conveyer belt, cows walk-in one end, meat comes out the other end, the inedible bits get dipped in dye and go straight in the unfit for human consumption skip.
Can you imagine a slaughter house in a town centre nowadays? Especially when the weather gets a bit warmer and there's no real breeze to blow the smell/taste away.

I also when younger, used to play amongst the carcasses hanging in the yard. Two relatives were butchers by trade.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've been in a Tokyo restaurant where chicken sashimi was on the menu. It was just lightly seared on the outside. We couldn't brig ourselves to order it, which is just from years of being told it will. Make you ill. But the Japanese don't have salmonella issues with their chicken so gladly eat it.

Raw fish however I can eat all day long, and a scallop fresh from the shell is a thing of beauty.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

And I still eat meat.

The occasional deer used to stagger into our kitchen and drop dead on the floor so we had to get rid of it somehow. I would not claim to be an expert butcher but adequate certainly and we had a big freezer. Fortunately my wife was not fazed by this as one of her brothers had been a bit of a poacher.:whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom