Eating raw meat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not correct for Pork
https://thetakeout.com/we-should-be-eating-medium-rare-pork-1828528374
The stigma against well-done steak does not extend to its white-meat cousin, pork. Americans don’t think twice before cooking our pork chops until they’re white (verging on gray) throughout, and some people might even squirm a bit when served a pink-center tenderloin. But friends, that’s wrong. To avoid the menace of shoe-leather pork, we should in fact be cooking it to medium-rare.

“I think a lot of pork has tended to be overcooked, and that traces back to when trichinella was considered a huge issue in pork. Most people grew up on pork being traditionally overcooked, even myself,” Martin Bucknavage, senior food safety extension associate at Penn State’s Department Of Food Science, tells The Takeout. “When it comes to pork, a lot of people don’t even use a thermometer, they just cook the hell out of it.”

Iberico pork in particular is best served pink.
this from the Brindisa website:
View attachment 652188

It is a long time ago but when I was doing a BSc in agriculture We were told that parasites in pork could infest humans. Hookworms if I remember correctly and difficult to get rid of if you get infested. I would not eat undercooked pork.
As mentioned earlier liver flukes are not uncommon and that is why meat for human consumption has to be inspected and passed by a vet.

PK99

Legendary Member
It is a long time ago but when I was doing a BSc in agriculture We were told that parasites in pork could infest humans. Hookworms if I remember correctly and difficult to get rid of if you get infested. I would not eat undercooked pork.
As mentioned earlier liver flukes are not uncommon and that is why meat for human consumption has to be inspected and passed by a vet.

A long time ago you were correct, many restaurants now serve various cuts blush pink.

As the quoted link says: I think a lot of pork has tended to be overcooked, and that traces back to when trichinella was considered a huge issue in pork

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Not correct for Pork
https://thetakeout.com/we-should-be-eating-medium-rare-pork-1828528374
The stigma against well-done steak does not extend to its white-meat cousin, pork. Americans don’t think twice before cooking our pork chops until they’re white (verging on gray) throughout, and some people might even squirm a bit when served a pink-center tenderloin. But friends, that’s wrong. To avoid the menace of shoe-leather pork, we should in fact be cooking it to medium-rare.

“I think a lot of pork has tended to be overcooked, and that traces back to when trichinella was considered a huge issue in pork. Most people grew up on pork being traditionally overcooked, even myself,” Martin Bucknavage, senior food safety extension associate at Penn State’s Department Of Food Science, tells The Takeout. “When it comes to pork, a lot of people don’t even use a thermometer, they just cook the hell out of it.”

Iberico pork in particular is best served pink.
this from the Brindisa website:
View attachment 652188
We went to a wedding in Spain. Half the guests were British and they served medium rare pork.
None of us ate it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yummy

fm_2021_10_05_04_54_46_58227_images_1024x1024@2x.png

PK99

Legendary Member
I used to eat raw sausages if they were fresh. Not sure I'd do it now.

Simple minced anything should not be eaten raw. The risk is external slaughterhouse contamination being mixed in.

Steak Tartare must be made from prime cuts from good butchers. Some recipes recommended taking a fillet and shaving off the outer layer.
Carpaccio is thin slices of raw, recipes often involve a rapid all-round sear before slicing - both a safety precaution and a decorative tweak.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Steak - tartare or rare.
Lamb and duck, rare.
Chicken, properly well done.
Pork is the only one I regularly use a thermometer for. Internal temp of 65C and a three minute rest. Just a hint of pink, not dried out at all.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just been down to mu local High Street to pick something up. Noticed a new restaurant being fitted.
Sushi place.
Brilliant. Looking forward to the opening.

Top Bottom