Eating raw meat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
From my experience with chilli sin carne, your reaction is at least as likely to have resulted from incorrectly cooked red kidney beans.
Projectile from both ends, so glad we have a bidet right next to the toilet!

Apologies to anyone with sensitive digestion who is reading this!

You remind me if the time I had a cracked rib. Went to a BBQ, ate some dodgy chicken and went projectile at both ends.

That was a very bad 48 hours.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I arrived very late in Luxembourg on a work trip some years ago... The hotel restaurant was basically closed, but offered me a steak tartare ... Without remembering what it was, I said yes... Was OK, I finished it, but I've never tried it again 👍😁
Also had raw lamb in Syria once... Never gone back to that either 😂

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm intolerant to seafood in varying degrees, so I don't dare try oysters. I can eat prawns, scallops and crab as long as I don't have to peel / dress them, but mussels are iffy.
If you are OK with other shellfish, you'll be fine with oysters. I strongly suggest you try them. I wouldn't want (and can't afford) to eat them regularly but they are a fantastic treat once in a blue moon.

DRM

Guru
There was a tale doing the rounds years ago of a Scout Group going to camp, their mini bus was following a car that hit a deer, they stopped to assist and when they left there was now a three legged deer at the road side, the fourth one being in the mini bus, the limb was cooked in a hangi, apparently the whole thing would have been in the mini bus if they’d had the room.
A Hangi is where you dig a hole, put hot coals in the bottom, wrap the meat put that in the hole and cover with soil

classic33

Leg End Member
There was a tale doing the rounds years ago of a Scout Group going to camp, their mini bus was following a car that hit a deer, they stopped to assist and when they left there was now a three legged deer at the road side, the fourth one being in the mini bus, the limb was cooked in a hangi, apparently the whole thing would have been in the mini bus if they’d had the room.
A Hangi is where you dig a hole, put hot coals in the bottom, wrap the meat put that in the hole and cover with soil
I've heard that, supposedly from the guilty party. But knowing where they said they did the cooking, I find it hard to believe.

Wouldn't put it past that particular group though.

Reactions: DRM
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

The Polynesians and Hawaiians do something similar with logs, rocks, and a local pig covered in banana leaves. It is slow cooked for about six hours.

If you are OK with other shellfish, you'll be fine with oysters. I strongly suggest you try them. I wouldn't want (and can't afford) to eat them regularly but they are a fantastic treat once in a blue moon.

It's pot luck with mussels. I can eat them, but it's Russian roulette as to whether they come up the same way they went in. So no, I shall not be trying oysters.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
One of my cousins was fond of raw pork sausages (1960's local butcher ones, not the mass produced ones of today) as a toddler.:ohmy: His mum used to give him one to keep him quiet when he started to throw a tantrum. She also stuck his head under the cold tap to stop him kicking off. I used to give the spoilt brat a slap when she wasn't looking.:secret:

Last edited:
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
One of my cousins was fond of raw pork sausages (1960's local butcher ones, not the mass produced ones of today) as a toddler.:ohmy: His mum used to give him one to keep him quiet when he started to throw a tantrum. She also stuck his head under the cold tap to stop him kicking off. I used to give the spoilt brat a slap when she wasn't looking.:secret:

Luxury! We had it tough.......

Okay, it's cooked. but it seems that, in Bury, kids are given a piece of black-pudding instead of a lolly

There's also a lot of false positives for bowel cancer in the area, due to this local delicacy
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/how-delicacy-confuses-cancer-test-1200370

Yes, I like it (& Haggis)

Solocle

Über Member
I once got lunch, bought some breaded chicken. It was after quite a few mouthfuls that I realised that I was in fact eating chicken sashimi - I put down the unpleasant texture to it being cold initially! Well, I suppose it was, in as much as it had never seen heat...

I thought I got away with it, but a couple of weeks later I had to go to hospital with a bout of GE. Although that was over very quickly, my blood pressure went down to 80/40. If it was something else, that's a hell of a coincidence.
1657529858844.jpeg

But Sushi, Steak Tartare, yummy.

Top Bottom