Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I like that one. I'm a sucker for fancy lugs! ^_^

The most intricate ones are verging on an art form in their own right. A really well executed and finished lugged steel road frame can be a thing of beauty and really engenders a pride of ownership in the rider - which is sadly lacking with the modern throwaway genre which are designed with planned obsolescence as a fundamental part of their marketing strategy.
In a sea of weird looking frames with big tubing and odd intersection points between the frame members, our clean-looking slender steel frames are starting to stand out more and more from the masses - even the less exotic workmanlike models.

woodbutcher

Veteran
The most intricate ones are verging on an art form in their own right. A really well executed and finished lugged steel road frame can be a thing of beauty and really engenders a pride of ownership in the rider - which is sadly lacking with the modern throwaway genre which are designed with planned obsolescence as a fundamental part of their marketing strategy.
In a sea of weird looking frames with big tubing and odd intersection points between the frame members, our clean-looking slender steel frames are starting to stand out more and more from the masses - even the less exotic workmanlike models.
Not just the steel ones ^_^ At least not in my eyes !
IMG_0974.JPG

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Not just the steel ones ^_^ At least not in my eyes !

I do have to agree with you in the case of a very small minority of aluminium bikes like your Vitus, the construction of which looks to have some aircraft influence. I'll even admit to liking the lugged carbon fibre TVT frames, even though I absolutely detest the appearance of modern moulded carbons. It's the small diameter tubes and lugged construction that makes them attractive; even though they used unconventional materials, the look is still recognisable as a "proper" bike.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I do have to agree with you in the case of a very small minority of aluminium bikes like your Vitus, the construction of which looks to have some aircraft influence. I'll even admit to liking the lugged carbon fibre TVT frames, even though I absolutely detest the appearance of modern moulded carbons. It's the small diameter tubes and lugged construction that makes them attractive; even though they used unconventional materials, the look is still recognisable as a "proper" bike.
I guess the influence of the aircraft comes from the aerospace tech. Heat activated resins and all that stuff.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The only carbon bike frame l have the time for is this one, and l guess it could just as easily be made from steel !
View attachment 448882

It's got that classic look of a vintage drop bar bike. As you say it would also look good if it was steel.
If they still made carbons that looked like that even I might just be tempted to ride one myself. Unfortunately the wind tunnel and CAD has ruined the aesthetics of modern ones, a bit like most modern cars are nothing to get excited about either.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I assume that will have a 531 frame? Less money than a lot of Galaxy sellers usually ask.

I should think so

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
In a way it seems a bit sad that these asking prices reflect the "low value" or esteem in which these classic steel bikes are held .:sad:

I see that as a bonus for those of us who appreciate such bikes!

It's much cheaper if you like unfashionable stuff that other people turn up their noses at. That goes for pretty much anything, not just bikes.

I've picked up some absolute bargains because old lugged steel is not sought after by the mainstream cyclist. Deals like a near-mint 531 framed 80's Raleigh hybrid for £20 are not to be sniffed at! A lot of new sales are clearly driven by C2W, which reduces cycling to a commoditised monthly cost much like having a mobile phone contract. The secondhand market is also awash with ex-C2W cast-off bikes that have been replaced by new model ones, which leaves the older classic/vintage stuff rather out in the cold. The longer the mainstream buyer ignores vintage steel the better as far as I'm concerned as it means better choice for less money for those of us who prefer them.

Top Bottom