Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
We seem to be getting different bikes come up on ebay, I put in vintage bikes so what do you boys put in as most of the bike you get are not the same as mine?

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We seem to be getting different bikes come up on ebay, I put in vintage bikes so what do you boys put in as most of the bike you get is not the same as mine?

My searches vary from Vintage to Retro , Reynolds , Racing and sometimes just bike and it is strange how different searches can bring up totally different results .

It's good fun searching but some times very frustrating as well

nonowt

Über Member
We seem to be getting different bikes come up on ebay, I put in vintage bikes so what do you boys put in as most of the bike you get is not the same as mine?

I tend to search for marque names in the bikes or cycling section, i.e. Mercian, Bob Jackson, Harry (gets Harry Quinn's, Harry Hall's and Harry Perry's) and let eBay's algorithms do the rest.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Just seen this--A BSA Javelin. It says 70's or 80's??

Javelin was usually aimed at catalogues

But could be shop bought, a sort of cheaper competitor to the Raleigh Arena. Yep, 70'_80's. If it has cable clips then more 70's :smile:

I had both a Raleigh Arena and a BSA Javelin at the same time as a kid. Both were very similar, with suicide levers and those tiny miniskirt mudguards that protected the brake mechanisms from road filth - but not the rider! The Arena was my "good" bike, bought new about 1980. It got ridden hard though, so to save smashing it up doing silly stunts on, I then bought the pre-abused Javelin secondhand from a neighbour for a Fiver to abuse some more and kept the Arena for "best". I'm sure all the Carbonistas will be having a good laugh at the very thought of an all-steel Arena being anyone's idea of a "best bike"! :laugh:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Very tempted

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I had both a Raleigh Arena and a BSA Javelin at the same time as a kid. Both were very similar, with suicide levers and those tiny miniskirt mudguards that protected the brake mechanisms from road filth - but not the rider! The Arena was my "good" bike, bought new about 1980. It got ridden hard though, so to save smashing it up doing silly stunts on, I then bought the pre-abused Javelin secondhand from a neighbour for a Fiver to abuse some more and kept the Arena for "best". I'm sure all the Carbonistas will be having a good laugh at the very thought of an all-steel Arena being anyone's idea of a "best bike"! :laugh:
The Arena was the default ten-year-old kids' bike when I was at school. 24" wheels, I think. I had the Olympus, which was the version in darker blue with full mudguards.

Other indifferent Raleighs of the time included the Winner (just as fade spray jobs were coming into fashion) and the Scorpio, which was quite nice in its orange version.

Top Bottom