Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
My searches vary from Vintage to Retro , Reynolds , Racing and sometimes just bike and it is strange how different searches can bring up totally different results .

It's good fun searching but some times very frustrating as well
What I find frustrating is the sheer number of nice bikes for sale more than 100 miles away from where I live and nobody posts them! Or they are in London, which is still 50 miles away and probably inside the M25. So with congestion charge and fuel costs it puts the bike into the 'not so good value for money' category.

Boon 51

Veteran
What I find frustrating is the sheer number of nice bikes for sale more than 100 miles away from where I live and nobody posts them! Or they are in London, which is still 50 miles away and probably inside the M25. So with congestion charge and fuel costs it puts the bike into the 'not so good value for money' category.

Yep.. tell me about it, I'm about 80 from the centre of London.

Soltydog

Legendary Member

What's bad for me is a 50 mile radius (or any mile radius) from home includes 50% sea so there's never any bikes for sale in that area :laugh:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
So when people buy bikes from sellers who don't post, you often see something like 'you can arrange your own courier' on the listing. How do you go about arranging the courier to pick up the bike and bring it to you?

Boon 51

Veteran
So when people buy bikes from sellers who don't post, you often see something like 'you can arrange your own courier' on the listing. How do you go about arranging the courier to pick up the bike and bring it to you?

That's an interesting question?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Is it easy to organise your own courier? Would they need to have a bike box?

Yes most couriers will only collect boxed items , although i have had a couple just wrapped in clingfilm .

There is one courier who will provide boxes and drop them off at collection point and then i presume the seller has to box the bike up for the courier to come back again to collect , never tried this route before as most local bike shops or Halfords are happy to hand out boxes foc although they don't always have bigger sized one's like @Boon 51 mentioned

Boon 51

Veteran
Yes most couriers will only collect boxed items , although i have had a couple just wrapped in clingfilm .

There is one courier who will provide boxes and drop them off at collection point and then i presume the seller has to box the bike up for the courier to come back again to collect , never tried this route before as most local bike shops or Halfords are happy to hand out boxes foc although they don't always have bigger sized one's like @Boon 51 mentioned

If I remember rightly a bike box can only be 1.5 metre long which is not a lot to play with. Big firms that do bulk posting like evan's, tredz, ect get away with bigger boxes because they spend loads dosh so the courier's turn a blind eye. Never seen a bike in clingfilm or not wrapped at all. ^_^

nonowt

Über Member
@Kempstonian @Boon 51

In terms of location, I think the grass is always greener. I'm in London and all the bargains seem to always be in Norwich or Lancashire! I helped a friend source a bike last year and, although I post a fair few interesting bargains on here, actually finding the right bike for a good price took longer than expected.

Top Bottom