Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nonowt

Über Member
@SkipdiverJohn It's amazing the volume of builders in London during that period. And you're right, a lot seem to based in South London - maybe as a result of former Holdsworth and CB builders setting up on their own? I wonder how many lightweights were built in London in say, 1953? An interesting project for somebody (i.e. not me!) would be building a custom google map with the sites of all the London (and beyond) classic frame builders former premise's pinned on.

netman

Veteran
@SkipdiverJohn It's amazing the volume of builders in London during that period. And you're right, a lot seem to based in South London - maybe as a result of former Holdsworth and CB builders setting up on their own? I wonder how many lightweights were built in London in say, 1953? An interesting project for somebody (i.e. not me!) would be building a custom google map with the sites of all the London (and beyond) classic frame builders former premise's pinned on.

That's a great idea... so a series of pages like this... https://cbfb.home.blog/geoffrey-butler/ and then a front page map with all locations on one map maybe? Looks like I've already started!

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
My H.E. Green was built in Fulham. 'Doc' Green started as a filer for Claud Butler and then became an apprentice frame builder for A.S. Gillott. In 1952 he opened his own shop at 171 Dawes Road Fulham S.W.6 - so he was building bikes in 1953.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
People tend to forget that London was once an industrial manufacturing city the equal of anywhere in the Midlands or North, and there was a huge pool of metalworking skills that went with it, especially in the immediate years after WW2 when thousands of people who were previously employed making stuff for the war effort would have been looking for a civilian outlet with which to use the knowledge they had gained.

Well i like the first 2 Birds and the Witcomb just glad they are all too far away

That particular Witcomb is currently sat in my garage as that's my eBay auction!
Still sitting at £60 with a day to go... :whistle:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Possible bargain if you've a spare pair of wheels:

Peugeot Premiere minus wheels, collection only from Devon, 99p start: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peugeot-premiere-Complete-Bike-Minus-Wheels/183754443285

s-l1600.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That particular Witcomb is currently sat in my garage as that's my eBay auction!
Still sitting at £60 with a day to go... :whistle:

Well it sold , will you be waving good by when it goes

That's a style of frame I like. Might try and find one in the future. If I ever get out of hospital.

A lot of men ride them and i can understand why if you have leg movement issues

Top Bottom