Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Morning Reynolds 531 tubing , I would guess normally 126 rr spacing and early 80's .

Normally in a nice shade of blue with a red tint . Might be tight for guard clearance .
Thanks! They look very nice - if I had space for infinite bikes ... For now I plan to hold out for a lightweight frame made for 27" wheels. Might be a unicorn of course! Also considering bespoke ...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks! They look very nice - if I had space for infinite bikes ... For now I plan to hold out for a lightweight frame made for 27" wheels. Might be a unicorn of course! Also considering bespoke ...
They are about just depends what you call lightweight

I'm no expert on tubing; but I was thinking butted at least (I remember as a teenager, "double-butted" seemed to be the holy grail. A bit like cars had to have turbos to be special :P ). I'm not after modern carbon weight, but i don't like steel enough to want an unnecessary couple of kg to lovingly carry around ;)

(I'd quite like a Columbus-based frame, just seem somehow ... sexier than reynolds tubing!)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's really, really hard to feel any difference except weight and steering geometry between steel frames of the same basic type. Columbus SL is supposed to give a slightly more comfortable ride than 531C. My SL bike* is comfortable but I wouldn't call it a scientific comparison. They will be almost identically stiff in a vertical plane but there could be subtle differences in the way they damp vibrations.

*stickered SLX from new but it is not SLX...no helical ribs. The stays are definitely Columbus so we believe it's SL from the weight. However, it was built by Ron Cooper, who was a real mix-and-match merchant.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
It's really, really hard to feel any difference except weight and steering geometry between steel frames of the same basic type. Columbus SL is supposed to give a slightly more comfortable ride than 531C. My SL bike* is comfortable but I wouldn't call it a scientific comparison. They will be almost identically stiff in a vertical plane but there could be subtle differences in the way they damp vibrations.

*stickered SLX from new but it is not SLX...no helical ribs. The stays are definitely Columbus so we believe it's SL from the weight. However, it was built by Ron Cooper, who was a real mix-and-match merchant.
Sounds like a lovely bike - any chance of seeing some photos please? The mix-and-match of tubing was something Roberts did a lot: even Reynolds and Columbus in the same frame sometimes. I've also seen a 853 frame with the tell tale Columbus helical rifling inside the fork steerer.

Last edited:

Definitely 27 inch wheels rather than 700c?

I ask because in my head I have 27inch wheels as a UK thing (until they were phased out) and 700c as more "continental" size (and in the UK for serious racing bikes). If that is the case, and someone please correct me if it is not, I would imagine that a Columbus frame with 27" wheels is much less common than a Reynolds frame with 27" or a columbus frame with 700c wheels.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Definitely 27 inch wheels rather than 700c?

I ask because in my head I have 27inch wheels as a UK thing (until they were phased out) and 700c as more "continental" size (and in the UK for serious racing bikes). If that is the case, and someone please correct me if it is not, I would imagine that a Columbus frame with 27" wheels is much less common than a Reynolds frame with 27" or a columbus frame with 700c wheels.
+ 1

Agreed!
(I didn't say I was looking for that particular combination. I'd like a bike that can make the tea in the morning too :smile: )

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
A nice Viking, looks like original paint, with a decal for 'V.C.L. Super-Steel Tubes' & classic Viking head badge.

(I've never seen a flip flop rear hub with a 5 speed freewheel on one side and a single cog on the other).

In Stafford, currently at £16.90: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viking-Classic-vintage-bike-original-54cm/143651405955?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160811114145&meid=43f515e0b54a4ecda0c42fa489b79656&pid=100667&rk=2&rkt=8&mehot=none&sd=143637565161&itm=143651405955&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2334524&brand=Viking&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042
Gear/fixed hubs were quite common BITD. The first pair of wheels I built were 32/40, 26" Alesa alloy rims on Le Tour hubs.
As an impecunious student, I rode that bike from Lincoln to Manchester, heavily laden. Even more foolish then than I am now, I'd lashed out on a new chain, but baulked at spending yet more cash on new sprockets. By the time I got to Baslow I was fed up with the chain jumping and switched to fixed for the rest of the ride via the A623 over the Pennines. Left the bike chained up outside the students' union while I arranged somewhere to kip; when I came out 2 hours later it had been nicked.
Hubs and rims as seen in Bike Riders Aids, p. 66 and p. 74 respectively. Chrome spokes, of course! British Hub Co. also made g/f hubs, but they were a lot more expensive. Where are they now? ^_^

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Gear/fixed hubs were quite common BITD. The first pair of wheels I built were 32/40, 26" Alesa alloy rims on Le Tour hubs.
As an impecunious student, I rode that bike from Lincoln to Manchester, heavily laden. Even more foolish then than I am now, I'd lashed out on a new chain, but baulked at spending yet more cash on new sprockets. By the time I got to Baslow I was fed up with the chain jumping and switched to fixed for the rest of the ride via the A623 over the Pennines. Left the bike chained up outside the students' union while I arranged somewhere to kip; when I came out 2 hours later it had been nicked.
Hubs and rims as seen in Bike Riders Aids, p. 66 and p. 74 respectively. Chrome spokes, of course! British Hub Co. also made g/f hubs, but they were a lot more expensive. Where are they now? ^_^
Thanks for this very interesting history. The Bike Riders Aids (1967-68) is amazing in it's range and use of drawings!

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
A nice Viking, looks like original paint, with a decal for 'V.C.L. Super-Steel Tubes' & classic Viking head badge.

(I've never seen a flip flop rear hub with a 5 speed freewheel on one side and a single cog on the other).

In Stafford, currently at £16.90: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viking-Classic-vintage-bike-original-54cm/143651405955?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160811114145&meid=43f515e0b54a4ecda0c42fa489b79656&pid=100667&rk=2&rkt=8&mehot=none&sd=143637565161&itm=143651405955&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2334524&brand=Viking&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

I think someone has stuck a freewheel on the threads that were meant for a single speed ?. The original hub being designed for a fixed cog one side and a single speed freewheel on the other.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I think someone has stuck a freewheel on the threads that were meant for a single speed ?. The original hub being designed for a fixed cog one side and a single speed freewheel on the other.
Sorry to disagree! Hubs like my Le Tour were made for fixed one side and 5-speed block t'other. The hub on that Viking is similar, with a fixed sprocket and lock ring currently unused. I don't recognise the hub with its oil point clip, but it looks well enough made. The rear derailleur is probably a Huret Svelto, cheap 'n' cheerful but sturdy, p. 56 of Aids. I think that was the one on my bike that was nicked (I hope the thief fell off when they tried to ride it away on fixed!). Still at £16.90 - could be a bargain for someone.

Some flip-flop hubs were available, and still are, for fixed / single speed. If you have a look at pp. 66 & 67 of the Aids booklet, you'll see hubs listed as G/F (gear block/fixed), D/F (double fixed) and S/S/G (single speed/gear block, rather than single sided gear, maybe, but probably just gear?).
The rather lovely road Campag hubs on the previous pages were single sided gear only, but only posh folk could afford them!

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Sorry to disagree! Hubs like my Le Tour were made for fixed one side and 5-speed block t'other. The hub on that Viking is similar, with a fixed sprocket and lock ring currently unused. I don't recognise the hub with its oil point clip, but it looks well enough made. The rear derailleur is probably a Huret Svelto, cheap 'n' cheerful but sturdy, p. 56 of Aids. I think that was the one on my bike that was nicked (I hope the thief fell off when they tried to ride it away on fixed!). Still at £16.90 - could be a bargain for someone.

Some flip-flop hubs were available, and still are, for fixed / single speed. If you have a look at pp. 66 & 67 of the Aids booklet, you'll see hubs listed as G/F (gear block/fixed), D/F (double fixed) and S/S/G (single speed/gear block, rather than single sided gear, maybe, but probably just gear?).
The rather lovely road Campag hubs on the previous pages were single sided gear only, but only posh folk could afford them!
Thanks for this - valuable history & good learning; thought my eyes were going when seeing the Viking's 5 speed freewheel on one side & the single cog on the other...

I was completely unaware that this used to be done- have now seen the G/F reference on page 66.

The Bike Riders Aids is downloaded for future reference: that introduction is lovely - 'Constant surveillance of the Continental market and close co-operation with leading European manufacturers including regular visits to the Milan and Paris shows enable the importation of the latest developments from such world-famous names as— Campagnolo Regina Fiamme Universal D'Alessandro Kowalit Clement Cinelii II Primo Lyotard Crodoni'

On a broader note, I searched the forum for old bike catalogues and got stuck - are there previous threads that I'm missing? I know V-CC carry a lot in their library, maybe it's a subject that would interest some of us here at CC too.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru

@avecReynolds531 I think I first came across the Bike Riders Aids about 1974. Disraeli Gears have some copies on his site I think. The VCC library seems to be closed at the moment. There is a section on Retrobike for old catalogues but it's a bit hit an miss

Top Bottom