Ebike Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plustwos

There is a metal spine to the battery mount, encased with plastic. The plastic is for the mount key-ways for the battery to slip onto. The lock pin enters the metal spine, preventing easy theft attempts.

If you do get your wife an ebike or convert one, you will find she will possibly out ride you into headwinds especially with a slight gradient. Steeper hills, she will destroy you. She will looked refreshed at the top of a climb as you arrive gasping, sweat dripping off your brow.:whistle:

Apologies for not replying earlier. I've just waved a magnet over the holder for my battery and it's non-magnetic; may be stainless of course but I doubt it since it gives slightly when pressed. I had assumed that they were all just hard plastic, hence the much heftier tubing. But now I realize there may be tougher ones specifically for conversions. I take your point about drilling holes to relieve stress but I think I would fight shy of drilling my wife's ancient Dawes.
As for her destroying me, she wouldn't dare, her memory is beginning to be troublesome and she needs me to find the way home :smile:)

Ken

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Im not precious about the Columbia, it was a sub £500 bike brand new.

If you've gone with standard software, then its probably best to use the brake cutoff s.

Go back to Eco cycles for advice on latest information.

Its likely you will have a 20mph cut off being sold into the USA. It will be noticeable when assistance is cut, either 15.6 mph or 20 mph.

The plastic gear is a design sacrificial part to protect the motor from likely damaged. Its when the rear wheel is locked up suddenly or huge torque is forced through the pedals.

I will have the same motor as you, been manufactured 18 months now.

Glad it all went well for your first install.

Regards Andy

Well Andy, yesterday, I finally completed my wife's TSDZ2 install, but not without some unexpected problems that I did not have when I did mine earlier this month. Basically, she is shorter than I am, and the chain didn't fit over the largest rear cassette sprocket, only went up to the next to largest one. After an intense investigation and help from a good friend, it was determined that there were 3 things that had to be done. The shift cable was a bit too loose, and the chain was a bit too short. All of that then necessitated some readjustment to the rear derailleur's settings. After all that, everything now seems to be in order. She had a shorter length on her Catrike Trail center boom, and a different front triple front chainring than I had. So it may have been made smaller for her. I don't know, as I didn't count links. I added a an extra "real" link, and that seemed to do the job. Today she will do a "check ride" to make sure everything is operating correctly. Then on to programming her 860c display. Eventually I will probably switch over to OSF, once I see how it all goes after few rides. Then I will probably ask you for some advice and help on using it. Will attach photos after all is checked out on our initial rides.

Alan

Top Bottom