eBikes are going to kill me :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Twice now, when I've been out on my road bike I have seen someone on a sit up and beg bike pull out of a junction in the distance. So I set off in pursuit, after all decent road bike, albeit with an OAP engine, should be up with and then past them in short time only to find them staying out in front for an inordinate amount of distance. When I eventually catch up with them, a sweaty wreck, I find a little old lady on an eBike peddling gently along at ~15mph. I then feel obliged to get in front and stay in front.

Good for my average speed though :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Serves you right for showing off! :laugh:

Also don't forget that a strong rider in decent shape is quite capable of maintaining 15 mph on the level when riding a 100% human-powered flat bar bike. You don't have to have drops to be able to get into double digit miles per hour.

Use them like the rabbit in a dog race.

I had an e bike rider cut me up as I was going straight over at a cross roads last night. The silly turd ‘forgot’ the rule about giving way to the right. So I decided to go after him to ‘remind’ him. I also taught him a valuable lesson about the maximum speed of an e-bike, not matching a peed off person on a non e road bike.

Slick

Guru
I don't really get the concerns, as to me a person on a bike is just a person on a bike. The more, the merrier.

I do use other cyclists in the distance as motivation but sometimes I catch them and sometimes I don't and what's powering the machine doesn't really come into it for me.

I also don't buy into the " If you want to race, pin a number on it" it's just a personal motivational thing to help on the commutes.

rugby bloke

Veteran
The trouble with overtaking another rider is not so much the catching up but the staying in front afterwards! The very few times that I catch someone up, I gauge their speed first before I overtake. If he/she only goes marginally faster than me, I prudently stay behind.
I made the mistake of going too hard earlier in the summer. Found myself catching a group of riders so decided to go past .. only to have the indignity of having the whole group re pass me about a mile further down the road ! Would have been much better of just following the wheel of the rider at the back of the group !

mustang1

Guru
I find the same thing with motorbikes .I'm on my super light racing road bike, and some dude on a poncy 125cc motorbike has no problem leaving me in the dust. And the guy even has hand warmers built into the handlebars.

Crazy I tell ya!

Levo-Lon

Guru
So to summarise, we all want an Ebike but are afraid of the cred kicking :laugh:

Slick

Guru
So to summarise, we all want an Ebike but are afraid of the cred kicking :laugh:
I had a test run on one when my wife was buying one and the guy spoke of the ebike smile. I was a bit suspicious at first but soon understood what he meant. I would love an ebike but I really need to peddle for fitness but when the time comes, I'll be getting one without a thought of street cred or what commuter racers think. :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Not me, I've got no wish whatsoever to have an e-bike. For a start, the appearance of the things is enough to put me off. Given that I consider 99% of modern human powered bikes to be ugly looking beasts anyway, and an e-bike is almost always an ugly modern bike made even uglier by the addition of a great big lump of externally-mounted battery pack, I won't be rushing out to acquire one.

Slick

Guru
Yeah, horrible. :okay:

orbea-gain-ultegra.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
I had a test run on one when my wife was buying one and the guy spoke of the ebike smile. I was a bit suspicious at first but soon understood what he meant. I would love an ebike but I really need to peddle for fitness but when the time comes, I'll be getting one without a thought of street cred or what commuter racers think. :okay:

I know, you do get a silly kids first bike feeling, there fekin great to be honest.
When i have used them im still able to talk after a climb!!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Not me, I've got no wish whatsoever to have an e-bike. For a start, the appearance of the things is enough to put me off. Given that I consider 99% of modern human powered bikes to be ugly looking beasts anyway, and an e-bike is almost always an ugly modern bike made even uglier by the addition of a great big lump of externally-mounted battery pack, I won't be rushing out to acquire one.

You say the same about full sus bikes John.
I think you need to try the new bikes ,the bikes you like are fine but i would dream of riding them now.
Bit like old cars , why struggle when you can have it all

Top Bottom