eBikes are going to kill me :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Or COBOC
Coboc-SEVEN-Vesterbro-Electric-Bike-ECOURBANLAB.jpg

Slick

Guru

Smudge

Veteran
I ride Ebikes and have two of them.... but i wouldn't if didn't need them.
I still have an unassisted bike and the simplicity and light weight of it is a sheer joy. Plus no batteries to charge or any bothering about possibly electrical prob issues..... but its real hard work for me riding it and hills are are a complete no no. But 30 or even 20 years ago i could p!ss all over road legal Ebikes with it.
If a fit & healthy cyclist cant keep up with an Ebike, then its likely to be a powerful non road legal Ebike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Such ugly machines these ebikes

You're right, they certainly are. The downtubes are the size of my rainwater drainpipes, and they've got forks whose blades are as thick as the legs on my table. Plus, they've got disc brakes, which make any road bike automatically ugly even if it wouldn't be otherwise. If you really want to convince me about the aesthetic values of e-bikes, show me one built with slender steel frame tubes, and where the battery pack doesn't look like an afterthought. I won't hold my breath.

classic33

Leg End Member
£50 "hackbikes" aren't all that spectacular looking.

Check out COBOC for some "slender" bikes. Then compare off-road bikes to road bikes. Thicker tubes, diameter wise, are the first thing you'll notice.

Then check "mechanical doping", and see what's possible now.

screenman

Legendary Member
There are some fantastic looking ebikes, in my opinion. Whilst in skipdivers there are none, I doubt anyone could convince either of us to think differently. My tastes have changed over the years and skipdivers have not, nothing wrong with that I know many people who like to live in the past.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
P1020243.JPG

my 'ugly' Orbea

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

You can still get quite a workout if you want it. Remember that the (legal) assistance cuts out at 15.5 mph. If you are with a group riding even just above this speed you are 100% leg power - and riding a heavy bike - it can be hard to keep with them. My Gain is over 14 kg all up, my Rose (non e) carbon bike for comparison around 8.5 kg. Great on hillier bits and when the pace drops, but it can be as hard as you want it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This argument is going to run and run, same as it always does when a major new technology arrives in any sport.

For myself I'll wait until I'm 90. Meanwhile I'd rather have the real workout and enjoy the feeling of reward from climbing that hill.

Smudge

Veteran
You can still get quite a workout if you want it. Remember that the (legal) assistance cuts out at 15.5 mph. If you are with a group riding even just above this speed you are 100% leg power - and riding a heavy bike - it can be hard to keep with them. My Gain is over 14 kg all up, my Rose (non e) carbon bike for comparison around 8.5 kg. Great on hillier bits and when the pace drops, but it can be as hard as you want it.

And 14 kg is super light for an ebike.

youngoldbloke

This argument is going to run and run, same as it always does when a major new technology arrives in any sport.

For myself I'll wait until I'm 90. Meanwhile I'd rather have the real workout and enjoy the feeling of reward from climbing that hill.
So would I, but blocked arteries say otherwise.

And 14 kg is super light for an ebike.
The 2019 carbon ones are even lighter.

Top Bottom