ECF Cycling barometer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Relatively high bike sales and memberships of CTC/BC/LCC type organisations for the UK. Particularly poor on modal share and, for a country with a good record on general road safety, UK looks decidedly substandard when it comes to bikes.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Cycling as main mode of transport looks low but then how many people do use a bike as their main mode of transport?
If I was asked what my main mode of transport was I would say car. But I spend more time and I do more journeys on my bike.
I guess if you asked almost every train commuter in London what their main mode of transport was they would also say car, even though they will undoubtedly spend more time and do more journeys by train each week.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Cycling as main mode of transport looks low but then how many people do use a bike as their main mode of transport?
If I was asked what my main mode of transport was I would say car. But I spend more time and I do more journeys on my bike.
I guess if you asked almost every train commuter in London what their main mode of transport was they would also say car, even though they will undoubtedly spend more time and do more journeys by train each week.
It may be that there's under-reporting of bike modal share but are there any specific reasons why this wouldn't be the case in the other countries too?

Top Bottom