Edge 705 Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK,

I've got a birthday coming up (a big one) and have asked relatives to give me cash for a 705.

I'll probably get it from handtec as they look cheapest.

£264 for the unit with HR and Cadence. Will get another cadence kit for £30.

Maps - the SD Europe City Nav Road is about £58, or UK/Ireland £28 (unlikely to go to Europe)....could also stretch to the Northern England TOPO for MTB'ing locally...£52

Handtec don't do the DVD's, so can't load maps to the PC....for route mapping, but I believe there is a work around.

I assume this doesn't matter as most folk plan courses etc via something like Bikehike...

Usual 'back the SD card up' precautions.....(will a copy SD work ? - i.e. backup to another SD) ?

So plan is 705, Hr/Cadence, UK City Nav and Northern England TOPO.

Then use bike hike for route planning - seems very detailed.

Does this sound about right then ?

jimboalee

When I bought eTrex Legend, I got the Mapsource disk included.
When I bought Edge 605, I didn't. They make customers pay for it now, unless it can be downloaded using the serial number of the handset.

If you can download Mapsource for free and have City Navigator attached, you needn't bother with BikeHike.
Mapsource allows you to generate routes, add waypoints and it is simple to push them to your handset.

Mapsource ( and the most important feature ) allows you to 'Avoid' roads you never wish to ride along.
Set the avoids, select the maps you want to load to the memory card and load them.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Topo's, upon further reading seem chronic. I'll probably go for the DVD of City Nav - some good prices on Amazon - under £70 for Europe.

Checked Open Streetmap, and there seem to be gaps locally, but I could always contribute. Looks like Open Streetmap may be OK for off road bridleways - seems to have a fair few mapped, and could overlay this with bikehike (like the OS detail screen when mapping)...

I've checked Frank Kinlan's site too - I'm after seeing what others use too.

Top Bottom