Scotland : Edinburgh & Lothians Edinburgh - Gifford 22nd March (Saturday)

Which option(s) do you fancy - multiple choices possible?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
May be this is a silly question and I know it's not a massive ride but... Are we going to have a support Car or some place to store belongings? I'm just thinking what with the unpredictable weather we are having and the fact I will be 60 miles from home I may have to bring a bigger than ideal bag along with me. I will of course check the forecast before setting off. but should I require to bring water proofs basic tools and ride munchies my normal bag may be rather full last thing I need is to be waiting on the train home soaked through and cold :smile:

@Telemark
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
You'll be fine, Cameron!
Expect to get a wee bit wet while on the ride, unless we get really lucky. Your lycra will dry quickly.
Wear a lightweight waterproof jacket over your chosen baselayer/top.
Bring a spare pair of socks. Don't forget gloves. Bring an inner tube suitable for your bike. I normally carry tools enough for a peleton and a super duper pump ^_^ so you can leave them at home.
Eat a good breakfast (my choice is always porridge with nuts and raisins), carry some flapjack or similar in your jersey pockets.
remember water in the bidon and money for the coffee stop. Put your mobile in a plastic freezer bag or similar - but not in the freezer itself :laugh:
Don't worry if you forget something, Embra is full of shops :biggrin: :hello:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
That was pretty much the last time I was on the bike... :sad:
You the 7 feet tall chap on the fixed? :surrender:

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
May be this is a silly question and I know it's not a massive ride but... Are we going to have a support Car or some place to store belongings? I'm just thinking what with the unpredictable weather we are having and the fact I will be 60 miles from home I may have to bring a bigger than ideal bag along with me. I will of course check the forecast before setting off. but should I require to bring water proofs basic tools and ride munchies my normal bag may be rather full last thing I need is to be waiting on the train home soaked through and cold :smile:
Support car :laugh:... nope! We all go on our bikes:bicycle:, and I certainly won't want to add other people's stuff into my pannier as kindly suggested by @Scoosh :stop::rolleyes: (which contains my tools, waterproofs, mobile, lock, emergency rations and has been known to also feature some cake for sharing).
If you (or anybody else) wants to store spare dry clothes or stuff at our place (close to the Commie Pool), you are welcome. I'll send out details on how to find us by PM later in the week (rather than put on the public forum).

T

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
If you need to, you can leave a bag in my car, I'll be parking near the pool anyway.

I travel light. Larger saddlebag for spare tube, tools, lock. Waterproof in jersey pocket, mobile in another, flapjacks in the last one. Sorted :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
10 so far ...:eek:
:scratch:Kitchen table will need to be fully extended for the :cuppa: after the ride, and we might have just about enough chairs for all :thumbsup:

T

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:hugs:Thanks guys!
Looking forward to Mike's flapjacks :hungry:

Don't worry, we'll definitely have our lunch on the road, 'Love Coffee, Love Food' at Gifford is the perfect place for hungry cyclists. We'd be starving if we waited until the return to Edinburgh. :ohmy:
If we leave from the Commie Pool around 10:30, we'll probably be on the road for near enough 4 hours for the 80k/50m including photo stops and eating Mike's flapjacks and other emergency rations. Add in another 45 min for lunch ... back in Edinburgh around 15:30, but who knows - CC Ecosse rides tend to be unpredictable regarding timing ... :rolleyes:

Those who would like a hot drink and further cake Chez T's before catching the train/driving home are welcome, but it's not compulsory. :thumbsup: By all means feel free to head straight for home from the Commie, there'll be more cake for the rest of us ;).
Depending on the weather, there might be a pot of soup, too (just something quick - the lentil soup in November seemed to do the trick warming up semi-frozen people :cold:)
I happen to like baking :hyper:and am always looking for 'victims' :ph34r::evil:.

T

Last edited:
Top Bottom