EDM - CYCLISTS' SAFETY AND HEAVY GOODS VEHICLES

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
CYCLISTS' SAFETY AND HEAVY GOODS VEHICLES

EDM 600

Prosser, Gwyn
That this House is concerned about the disproportionate risk of deaths of cyclists that involve heavy goods vehicles (HGVs), and notes in particular that seven out of the 12 cyclists' deaths in London, all but one of them women, this year involved lorries; recognises the value in increasing levels of cycling to improve public health and reduce the impact on the natural and urban environment; further notes that HGVs account for 45 per cent. of all London cyclists' deaths, and one in five of cyclists' deaths in the UK, yet represent only five per cent. of road traffic; supports the provision of cycle training to give adults and children the skills to deal with traffic; believes that more action is required to mitigate the threat posed by lorries; further recognises the need to equip all lorries with side-sensors, in-cab supervision systems, class VI safety mirrors and audible warnings; further recognises that all drivers receive a cycle awareness training course as part of the new Certificate of Professional Competence; and recommends the imposition of conditions of access to city centres for HGVs.

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=40179&SESSION=903

Send to your local MP asking for support.

thomas

the tank engine

sheddy

Legendary Member
My MP won't - he doesn't think all HGVs should be fitted with safety systems.
I think they should at least debate the motion and come up with actual propsals as part of the debate...

StuartG

slower but further
sheddy said:
My MP won't - he doesn't think all HGVs should be fitted with safety systems.
I think they should at least debate the motion and come up with actual propsals as part of the debate...
My normally lazy MP quite out of character signed an EDM this week. May 6th is fast approaching ...

Now is a great time to lobby MPs - many are desperate for any positive/avoid negative comment in the local press. They will support almost anything that gets them a good word - even if they don't agree with it. I primed my local forum (which I know he monitors) to lobby. And yesterday he was a hero. Job done!

Top Bottom