Electric bikes. Is it just me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

A few years ago I used to regularly get passed by a elderly guy on an electric bike when I commuted to work .

I got so annoyed at being passed I even started commuting on my time trial bike. Full disc wheel, areo helmet the works and he would still leave me for dust.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Electric bikes are a good thing if it gets people out and about. I'd really like one. Actually I have the motor from one and I also have a scooter thingy to play with. I may do something with the bits I have if I have time.

I have sold a couple of trikes with SRAM electric assist, they work well, I am always looking at what is on offer to best supplement the trikes, it extends peoples cycling lifespan and can extend the practical commuting range and terrain a lot, so far I have resisted even though I have a duff knee.

domtyler

Über Member
I want to be able to keep up with urban traffic permanently, that means the capacity to cycle at forty miles an hour uphill. If something was available to enable me to achieve this by putting in the same amount of effort as I currently do I would snap it up in a flash.

LLB

domtyler said:
I want to be able to keep up with urban traffic permanently, that means the capacity to cycle at forty miles an hour uphill. If something was available to enable me to achieve this by putting in the same amount of effort as I currently do I would snap it up in a flash.

There is, but it's not cycling :biggrin:

LLB

Night Train said:
But this is!:sad:

My prefered vehicle for inspiration if the AeroRider.:biggrin:

Like the Aerorider.

My first moped was a PC50 (next one on I'd imagine) when I was 14 (field bike), bloody hard work pedalling it though. It was bright orange and we nicknamed it 'the fish' as it would make a plopping noise on tickover after the exhaust fell off :blush:

pc50-69a.jpg

domtyler

Über Member
My dad had a Puch Maxi at one time that my mate and I used to take out in the evenings for a burn around the lanes unbeknownst to him. Unfortunately I had to come clean when I crashed it into the garden wall and mashed up the frame. It is safe to say he was not pleased that day!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
A friend and I got a Puch maxi from a jumble sale. There was jelly in the fuel tank. Cleaned that out and it was a runner. I remember taking it in turns to ride it up a bit of the M25 (while under construction)

Brown it was, lovely.

decoherance

I own a Kalkhoff Pro Connect which I recently bought from www.50cycles.com There's no real reason for me owning an electric bike other than the fact that I'm a lazy git. I have always cycled to work and there is a long hill which I have always struggled with but since I got the Pro Connect its been a breeze. I love the bike for many reasons but one of its main advantages imo is the weight, meaning I can turn the power off and it feels like a normal bike. With the power on the torque assist is always adjusting itself to match what I put in making hills feel like the flat. For a lazy person like myself who dosnt drive and dosnt want to turn up to work worn out and sweaty, its one of the best purchases I've made.

col

Legendary Member
decoherance said:
I own a Kalkhoff Pro Connect which I recently bought from www.50cycles.com There's no real reason for me owning an electric bike other than the fact that I'm a lazy git. I have always cycled to work and there is a long hill which I have always struggled with but since I got the Pro Connect its been a breeze. I love the bike for many reasons but one of its main advantages imo is the weight, meaning I can turn the power off and it feels like a normal bike. With the power on the torque assist is always adjusting itself to match what I put in making hills feel like the flat. For a lazy person like myself who dosnt drive and dosnt want to turn up to work worn out and sweaty, its one of the best purchases I've made.

I really like the look and sound of these,how is it for lasting use,and how easy to charge?Any thing that is a minus?

decoherance

col said:
I really like the look and sound of these,how is it for lasting use,and how easy to charge?Any thing that is a minus?

I havnt actually run the battery down yet. My commute is about 4 miles each way and I will charge it every couple of days or so but I'm sure I could get a lot more out of it, they say if run in economy mode it can go for 50 miles. Charging takes around 5 hours from empty but as I say I havnt run it empty yet, It usually takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours when I charge it. The battery weighs about the same as a bag of sugar and is really easy to take out, you also get a 2 year warranty on it, which is good as most other electric bikes give you a 6 month warranty. Tbh I cant think of any down sides to it yet, its basically the same as a normal bike other than the electrics so if anything goes wrong any bike shop should be able to fix it, plus if any thing goes wrong with the electrics 50cycles will deal with it. Well worth looking into if your thinking of getting an electric bike imo.

col

Legendary Member
decoherance said:
I havnt actually run the battery down yet. My commute is about 4 miles each way and I will charge it every couple of days or so but I'm sure I could get a lot more out of it, they say if run in economy mode it can go for 50 miles. Charging takes around 5 hours from empty but as I say I havnt run it empty yet, It usually takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours when I charge it. The battery weighs about the same as a bag of sugar and is really easy to take out, you also get a 2 year warranty on it, which is good as most other electric bikes give you a 6 month warranty. Tbh I cant think of any down sides to it yet, its basically the same as a normal bike other than the electrics so if anything goes wrong any bike shop should be able to fix it, plus if any thing goes wrong with the electrics 50cycles will deal with it. Well worth looking into if your thinking of getting an electric bike imo.

Thanks for that decoherance,how long have you had it,just curious as to the batteries life span and if it loses much power over time?

decoherance

col said:
Thanks for that decoherance,how long have you had it,just curious as to the batteries life span and if it loses much power over time?

I've had the bike for about 3 months now. I'm told the battery should last a good 4-5 years. One of the reasons I went with the Pro Connect is that it has a Panasonic battery/motor which I've read good things about. The panasonic battery seems to be the best on the market atm and the fact it has a 2 year warranty sort of clinched it for me. So if I am losing a lot of power within those 2 years I'll just get a new one. There's a bit of blurb about the battery here http://www.50cycles.com/info_lith.shtml

col

Legendary Member
decoherance said:
I've had the bike for about 3 months now. I'm told the battery should last a good 4-5 years. One of the reasons I went with the Pro Connect is that it has a Panasonic battery/motor which I've read good things about. The panasonic battery seems to be the best on the market atm and the fact it has a 2 year warranty sort of clinched it for me. So if I am losing a lot of power within those 2 years I'll just get a new one. There's a bit of blurb about the battery here http://www.50cycles.com/info_lith.shtml

Thanks again,definitely like the look of these.

Top Bottom