Electric bikes. Is it just me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stranger

I bought a Powabyke that was about a year old, from E-bay, some four years ago now, and the batteries have JUST needed to be replaced.

But other things on it are also beginning to 'pack up'. Like the ignition barrel and the throttle twist handle.

So maybe five years is their expected life-span.

The batteries (3x12v) were £60 apiece. They look like motorbike batteries to me. The trottle twist was £20. An easy fix. But I am still frowning and muttering over the ignition barrel. It LOOKS straightforward enough--but it ain't 'alf a fiddly job. I am seriously thinking of taking it to the local dealer and to let them 'fiddle' with it. It might need some special tool that I don't have.

But I have to admit that I just LOVE the thing. I make no excuses for having it or using it. I just LIKE it. It saves me a lot of blood, sweat and tears--never to mention fuel too. I couldn't manage half the journeys that I do on it, on my regular 'pedal bike.'

stranger

stevew said:
Good place for e-bike info is over on this forum:-
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/
Most threads seem to attract sensible debate.

But how do you 'get in?' I registered there four days ago and I still can't post my query. Says I am in a queue.

So if you are in a hurry for an answer--------maybe that's not the place.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
It will really make starting and stopping easier if or when the boffins get regenerative braking off the drawing board. Dreadfully inefficient at the mo. I am hoping for a 'trickle down' from F1 KERS.

Savannah

I've got an electric bike too. Its a Sparta Ion. I can't confess to having any aches or pains but just thought it would be a great way to get around instead of driving. It helps with fitness and you don't need any special clothing. I've lost weight and increased my fitness level & am really enjoying getting around on it.

Trumpettom001

My local bike shop has a thing called the GoCycle - It looks like a prop from startrek (not sure if thats a good or bad thing really).... it has a continous 250W motor, which looks to me to be a little illegal in the UK, as the peak limit is 250, continuous rating is supposed to be 200W under power. It also has a top speed of 20mph (the UK legal limit is 15mph with electric power)..... anyone know anything about how they get around this, as I want an electric bike, but 200W is just too slow for my liking..

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Depends how keen you are to be 100% legal. On the grand scheme of offences for which you are likely to be prosecuted, using a slightly over-powered electric bicycle has to rank somewhere below failing to practice archery on a Sunday.

Bigtwin

Ben Lovejoy said:
using a slightly over-powered electric bicycle has to rank somewhere below failing to practice archery on a Sunday.

Friend of mine got 15 years for that. He was all of a quiver. Banged up with Fletcher he was.

Mind you, turned up to court on an overpowered lekkie bicycle. Beak was onto him like a short. Got a long sentence, judge was really cross. Made a bolt for it, butt no luck. Good think he had another string to his bow when he got out or could have got shafted. Load of bull I thought. I wouldn't mind, but the costs of it was a taxonomy. I mean taxophily. Bugger it.

CopperBrompton

That's certainly an 'arrowing story.

CopperBrompton

And that's apparently 35mph. Imagine if he'd stuck to Plan A and been able to do 55mph on the flat. :-)

TopCat

That guys put some work into that bike/motor. The only thing wrong with lecky bikes is the battery running out.

There must be some way of charging the battery while you peddle or freewheel downhill?

I remember seeing a youtube vid of a guy in a home made beach buggy type thing which was lecky powered. He only pedaled every now and then to charge his batts. Need to see if I can find that vid?

Regards
Tom

Top Bottom